Router versus Modem

realist 20:05 11 Sep 2008

I'm still connected to AOL by a BT Voyager 105 modem @ 6 megs. This works kind of OK, the only gripe being that the connection drops at least once a day but it's not a major problem as it auto-reconnects.

I have a couple of routers laying around but my only attempt to connect one failed dismally.

So, what is the advantage of a router as opposed to a modem. Should I no longer expect to experience drop-outs with a router?

Cheers

mgmcc 20:23 11 Sep 2008

With ADSL, a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" is used and this replaces the USB Modem. There is still therefore an ADSL Modem involved in establishing the internet connection via the ISP.

The function of a "Router" is to allow multiple computers to have simultaneous internet access with an ISP that only allocates a single IP address. There is also the issue that USB 1.1 has a nominal data transfer speed of 12Mbps so, as ADSL speeds increase, using a USB 1.1 Modem could restrict the connection speed. A router, using ethernet connectivity running at 100Mbps, won't have a similar impact on connection speeds.

realist 20:28 11 Sep 2008

Noted/Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?