Router versus Modem.

olyman 12:31 06 Mar 2008

I have just changed from ntlworld to virgin and received a free wireless router (Netgear)
As the router didn't arrive until after the changeover I had to spend money on an expensive helpline to activate the new account using my old modem (Thomson Speedtouch 330 usb)
I'm reluctant now to uninstall the modem and install the router with the prospect of possibly more helpline expense unless there is some technical advantage in doing so.
I have no use for the wireless function and would connect by ethernet cable.
The router does have an additional firewall but is this only effective for wireless use?
Would there be any speed difference between the two devices?
One advantage of the modem is that it doesn't require yet another bulky power supply.

Fingees 14:40 06 Mar 2008

One of the advantages of using a wireless modem, even with an Ethernet cable is.

It can remain connected all the time to the internet.

This keeps your speed at its highest.
With a usb modem, it goes off when the computer is switched of. Therefore the line to adsl line has to start from scratch, and can take a long time, and never reach the highest speed, as this can take days.

iscanut 14:41 06 Mar 2008

I have used the Speedtouch 330 and then moved to a Netgear router. No need to uninstall the modem, leave things as they are. I have found the router more convenient as you are instantly connected to the net and the firewall protection it offers is convenient. I swear things are also faster. I too connect by ethernet cable. Give the router a try and see what you think. To switch back to the modem, just switch the phone cables round !

Stuartli 14:43 06 Mar 2008

A router used in wired form will be superior to a modem, but if you don't wish to use it why not download the latest Speedtouch 330 drivers from:

click here

(Windows driver - All broadband speeds) unless you have Vista, which is higher up the page.

The latest Thomson Speedtouch 330 drivers allow for "up to 8MB" speeds, which is about the limit for modems.

olyman 15:54 06 Mar 2008

Thanks for the responses.
I hadn't realised that there was a start-up penalty with a modem. It sounds as though I should install the router. It would be a shame to leave it in the box!

Bang goes the last socket on my surge tower.

I do have up to date Vista drivers for the modem. I do occasionally, and briefly, get 7Mb download speeds so I am pushing the modem limits.

I'm not clear how a router modem functions. I assumed that it was protection from wireless intrusions.

olyman 16:02 06 Mar 2008

Thanks for the responses.

I hadn't realised that there was a start-up penalty with a modem. It sounds as though I should install the router. It would have been a shame to leave it in the box!

I switch the power off to my computer when its not running so I'll have to plug the router in to a separate socket it seems. At least I'll keep the last free socket on my surge tower though the router won't be protected.

I do have up to date Vista drivers for the modem. I do occasionally, and briefly, get 7Mb download speeds so I am pushing the modem limits.

I'm not clear how a router modem functions. I assumed that it was protection from wireless intrusions.

olyman 09:45 07 Mar 2008

Ooops!
Decided to revise my post. Thought I had lost the first version but they both got posted.
AND I got both wrong, for router "modem" read firewall.

olyman 12:45 11 Mar 2008

I installed the router with no problems.
If anything download speeds seem to be lower but that may be the result of more people swapping from NTL to Virgin before they are cut off at the end of the month.

Jak_1 13:01 11 Mar 2008

"I installed the router with no problems.
If anything download speeds seem to be lower but that may be the result of more people swapping from NTL to Virgin before they are cut off at the end of the month."

It will take a little while for the router to settle to it's best speed, just leave it switched on whilst it does this. It may take a few days.

olyman 13:35 11 Mar 2008

Thanks Jak.
I am leaving it switched on.

Furkin 08:36 13 Aug 2008

I'm looking for advice on an internal modem card (I use it for faxing more than anything) and came across this whilst searching - I hope i'm not classed as hijacking it (I have separate post on my prob).

I was intrigued by FINGEES message here re leaving the Router ‘ON’.
I have basic B.B by B.T & have a Voyager 220V router. On my ‘set-up’, I have what I call my ‘dead mans handle’. When I am finished with the computer I throw this switch & it turns everything off (printers / modems / scanners etc etc).
Is it wise to leave my Voyager 220V on permanently then ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone