Router tip

sunny staines 19:42 02 Dec 2007

If you turn mains power off turn your router off first otherwise it will wipe all the settings [ideal if you have lost the password] but not in normal circumstances. Just learn that lesson the hardway.

Using LINSKY WAG45G their helpline confirmed this.

Halmer 20:05 02 Dec 2007

I have the same router and turned my mains off yesterday without losing the settings. I have done this a number of times with no problem. Just have remember to turn the router back on when the mains is started up.

tullie 20:28 02 Dec 2007

I turn everything off every night,no on/off switch on router,i dont have any problems with settings

tullie 20:29 02 Dec 2007

I turn everything off every night,no on/off switch on router,i dont have any problems with settings

crosstrainer 20:32 02 Dec 2007

Most routers (with the exception of linksys, and some netgear kit) Always retain settings, I do leave mine on (Dlink) but it's been off for 24 hours and still remembers what it is when re-booted.

sunny staines 20:35 02 Dec 2007

I turned off the mains electric on putting back on i could not connect to the internet after turning the pc on again. Rang linsky helpline they asked if there had been a power cut, told then about the mains turn off and they told me this is a common problem to loose all settings during a sudden power loss.

Spark6 20:46 02 Dec 2007

Have not had this problem with Belkin, Netgear and EchoLife modem routers!

crosstrainer 20:49 02 Dec 2007

I fear....Had it before on a clients network

Leave it on....It uses very little power.

sunny staines 20:53 02 Dec 2007

perhaps its just me, had a bad day today with the washing machine and the router.

Migwell 00:55 03 Dec 2007

My Linksys router was off for a couple of days or so while back when I decorated my computer room and had a new carpet fitted as everything had to be out of here. Mind you I had computer withdrawal symptoms, a bit like bad jet lag LOL

Migwell 00:59 03 Dec 2007

oops. Clicked on post response by accident. The router did not loose any settings. In fact when I put it all back together it seemed to work better than it had before it's rest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?