router time on

SCROOGE2 23:23 04 Sep 2008

have a netgear router dg834g, is it ok to have it on the same power supply as pc and be switched off after use or be on seperate power supply and left on continualy? your recomendations please.

Technotiger 23:26 04 Sep 2008

Better to have it on a separate power source, and left on, even when PC is off. My own is similarly set-up and is on 24/7.

Technotiger 23:27 04 Sep 2008

PS, I switch my PC off every night.

woodchip 23:46 04 Sep 2008

All mine go of at the same time, I just throw a rocker switch

FatboySlim71 08:36 05 Sep 2008

I'm like Technotiger, I switch my computer off every night but leave my Netgear DG834GT on 24/7.

The reason I do this now is that with a previous ISP (ZEN) I would power my router down before retiring for the night, when I powered it back on my line was syncing at a lower profile (5000-5500 kbps) where as before I switched it off it was syncing at the full 7150 kbps. The line profile went back up to 7150 after a few days though.

sinbads 08:47 05 Sep 2008

Not sure what you mean same power supply as the computer, the dg834g comes with its own transformer, I can see little point in leaving a router or any pc equipment on.

Technotiger 09:25 05 Sep 2008

Powering a router off and then on again is actually re-setting the router each time, a router should only need re-setting if you are having problems with it. Certainly with my BT Homehub it is very much better left on 24/7.

Technotiger 09:27 05 Sep 2008

PS - with my BT HomeHub I also have the BT Broadband Talk telephone, if I switched the hub off I would not be able to use the hub-telephone.

woodchip 11:38 05 Sep 2008

If as above like Zen it is best left on. s its how the ISP connection works. If like mine on TalkTalk it does not matter if you switch of as it is a Luu Luu connection

FatboySlim71 13:07 05 Sep 2008

May be others who are with Zen may not have my problem with the same router. I only mentioned Zen because I was on the subject of my previous ISP.

I was not saying that the problem was with Zen or Zen had advised me to not switch my router off. Just thought I would put the record straight :-)

woodchip 14:16 05 Sep 2008

I think its the MAX service that needs to be left on as it will take days for it to settle back down to correct speed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?