Router Sync Speed dropping

redvet 08:33 08 Jul 2008

Relocated a couple of weeks ago and had a new connection set up for Broadband Max 8Mbs.
All OK initially with pretty good speeds as follows:
est1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5573 kbps

Noticed though that after 10 days my router sync speed has been dropping steadily from its initial 8128 to 7648 and now 6144.

I have left the router connected 24/7 and am wondering if I should power off and re-boot it to see if it regains its good speed.

Daveboy 22:09 08 Jul 2008

If you haven't re-booted then your sync speed should remain the same. Have you checked your router log, it may have been dropping sync and subsequently re-established at a slower rate without you being aware. This may indicate a line problem, get back to basics and try the router in the master socket (hopefully an Nte5a type) with all extension wiring disconnected.

redvet 22:25 08 Jul 2008

OK many thanks will try this check.

MarvintheAndroid 22:46 08 Jul 2008

If you are on ADSL Max it will try to connect at the highest speed possible, then gradually reduce the rate if it encounters instability. This is quite normal over the first couple of weeks.

The IP profile speed says it all. In other words, although supposedly synched at 8128 you were only actually getting around the 6000 mark.

Probably if you re-set the router it will start out higher again for a bit, then gradually level out over a day or so.

It is generally good practice to re-set the router once a month or so anyway.

Marv

Marv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone