Router Saga – Leave on or turn off?

Pine Man 11:24 24 Jul 2009

Over time there have been many threads on this subject and lots of anecdotal evidence to support the case for leaving them switched on. I have tried to get manufacturers and ISP views and have received conflicting views with no hard and fast answer being given by either.

My broadband is provided by O2 and my router is a Thomson TG585 v7 connected by cable to my PC running Windows 7. For the first two weeks I kept the router powered up continually and everyday at roughly the same time I checked my speeds using click here

The highest download was 12152kbps and the lowest 12027kbps. The average was 12094kbps

The highest upload was 1082kbps and the lowest 1013kbps. The average was 1059kbps.

For the following two weeks I switched the router off every evening and on again the next morning and checked the speeds again using the same site at the same time.

The highest download was 12294kbps and the lowest 12286kbps. The average was 12289kbps.

The highest upload was 1081kbps and the lowest 1066kbps. The average was 1074kbps.

In summary the only benefit I got from leaving the router switched on permanently was fractionally LOWER speeds but a nice constantly warm router!

howard64 11:41 24 Jul 2009

mine is connected to my ups and when I have finished with my pc the whole lot including the router is switched off. Since doing this my electricity bill has been quite a bit lower.

mooly 11:52 24 Jul 2009

howard64... If you check the power consumption of the router (either on the back, or in the manual) then very aproximately the wattage will equal the cost in pounds over a year.
So 6 watts costs around £6 a year give or take. Do this for ALL your appliances DVD, TV's etc and add 'em up.

2neat 11:56 24 Jul 2009

click here

I leave mine on. You could plug it into a time switch if you are that bothered. The time switch will probably use more juice than the router LOL.

howard64 11:58 24 Jul 2009

thanks for that mooly as a retired lecturer teaching apprentice electricians I do know this. My point was that having fitted the ups everything is now controlled by a single switch and everything goes off instead of being on often from 7 in the morning to 11 at night. Often this was 2 pc towers, a router, two printers, sound sytem and networing system. Quite a load and noticeable on the actual electricity consumption. My pc stuff being the only thing that has been drastically cut down.

mooly 12:09 24 Jul 2009

Thats all right :)
I thought you were meaning just the router had made a big difference to the bill.

birdface 12:23 24 Jul 2009

Fortnight ago was the last one.

click here

jack 12:31 24 Jul 2009

leave on and it is a cost
switch off no cost - but could I repeat could mean it had to be reset.
This is what I found the first couple of times-
All the kit is on one switch and all went off when done with.
So advice from here I switched the router away from the group switch and plugged it in separately to be on all the time.
The came the recent 48 hour of 'Dark'
When power came back the router came to life and worked without having to be reset.
So I am thinking be reverting it to the master switch.

LastChip 12:43 24 Jul 2009

It comes down to necessity and your attitude to saving energy and/or your electricity bill.

Mine stays on all the time, as I have my own server for my sons business running 24/7. Just this morning, I was having a little trouble connecting to a site and wondered if it was about time I rebooted the router. When I checked, it had been running constantly for over 900 hours.

A reboot does seem to have done the trick, but I've no idea why! I have however, seen this phenomenon before, where with time, routers slow down. I suppose in about 900 hours time (5 weeks), I'll have to do it again. Looks like an item for the monthly "to do" list. The strange part is, when reconnecting, there was absolutely no difference to the connection speed. It just seems to clear out any crap in the system.

gazzaho 14:39 24 Jul 2009

Here's a recent thread on the subject click here I myself leave mine on, some say it's good some say bad. In the old days of computing I guess it may have been better to leave hardware on as thermal changes between switching on and off could, and sometimes did cause chips to "creep" out of their sockets. I would assume nowadays though that that particular problem has been solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?