Router recommendations

Jackcoms 21:16 12 Sep 2006

My elder daughter has just moved into off-campus accommodation with 5 University friends.

Their house is hard-wired to all bedrooms with an RJ11 socket in each bedroom.

They want to install a wired router to run 6 PCs/laptops.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good quality router?

woodchip 21:32 12 Sep 2006

I use a 3Com Office Connect Wireless Router Modem, Four Wired and that many Wireless cannot remember. Other will recomend what they use. click here

Jackcoms 21:37 12 Sep 2006

Thanks for your response.

However, I must stress that my daughter and flatmates are only interested in a WIRED (not wireless) router as their house is hard-wired throughout.

woodchip 21:44 12 Sep 2006

Look at the link and read it

terryf 21:44 12 Sep 2006

I have a wired netgear DG834 that has been very reliable but only 4 outlets, have you done a search on google for a 6 port wired router, you will get some results

woodchip 21:47 12 Sep 2006

PS although there are only four ethernet sockets, I think that you must use splitters looking at how many the link says that can be used. I know that you can buy short wired splitters for no money hardly at Computer Fairs as I have one

researcher 21:47 12 Sep 2006

Hi. I have used various US Robotics products and have found them to be reliable and easy to set up. I started with an ADSL modem (1 port), then got a 4 port wired ADSL router (for 2nd PC), then a wireless 4 port router when my sone got his laptop.

I think that you will find the maximum number of ports on any router is 4, however, if you get the wired Router and wireless one as well, you can then get up to 7 PCs wired in plus have wireless capability!

Jackcoms 21:51 12 Sep 2006

Explain it to me.

I've never used a router in my life so my knowledge is zero (hence this post).

All I can see in your link is the word 'wireless'.

What am I missing??

skidzy 21:57 12 Sep 2006

click here
click here

Maybe something like this is what your looking for.

Hope this helps

woodchip 21:59 12 Sep 2006

As above I have never seen a Router with more than Four Ethernet ports So like connecting phones you can plug two into one socket using a two into one splitter. the one I have is only about 4ins long a RJ11 plug at one end and double socket at the other end

woodchip 22:03 12 Sep 2006

Sorry the Ethernet is RJ45 so you would need that type like this one the plug would go into the router then plug two comps into the socket click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?