Router recommendation for use with AOL

Marko797 10:53 09 Sep 2007

Hi, am buyng the wife a laptop so she can access the internet/email etc when in other parts of the house.

MY isp is AOL, and it seems that there are only certain routers which work with AOL - according to their web section. Problem is I can't get hold of some of them thru PCW & looks like I might need to buy thru AOL directly, who appear to be more expensive.

Can anyone (who uses AOL) recommend a router which would allow my wife to access via the laptop please?

Taff™ 11:08 09 Sep 2007

Virtually any ADSL router on the market. AOL would have you believe that some don`t work and even refuse technical assistance unless you buy it from them or pay for their premium service. We know otherwise on this forum.!

jellyhead 11:36 09 Sep 2007

I am with AOL and recently bought a Netgear DG834GT from PCW at a resonable price. Had a small problem with set up and AOL help line was very helpfull and we got it sorted nice and quickly.
Hope this helps.

Marko797 11:43 09 Sep 2007

Have looked at the DG834G and some come with a WG111 usb adapter. Can you tell me what this does? Is it for the laptop so it can connect into the main desktop?

Taff™ 12:03 09 Sep 2007

Correct but if the laptop you buy is already wireless enabled you don`t need it. (Unless you want to make another PC wireless too)

Taff™ 12:04 09 Sep 2007

You could use it in the main desktop is what I mean! Then both would be wireless via the router.

Marko797 12:07 09 Sep 2007

Thanks Taff. The laptop will be wireless enabled, so looks like I won't need the usb adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017