Router Question

Switcher 18:47 14 Jun 2008

I decided to have a look at my router setup whilst it is working OK in an attempt to learn
more about the myriad of settings which it contains. It is a Draytek Vigor 2800 VG

In the section LAN IP network configuration there are two IP addresses shown
The first one under the heading FOR NAT USAGE is the usual 192.168.1.1
The second one under the heading FOR IP ROUTING USAGE is 192.168.2.1
The second one has an enable/disable option. I disabled it but it appears to have made no
difference to my internet access. The only difference I note is that I cannot go to the router homepage using click here. Which I could do previously. Can anyone tell me what the purpose is of the second IP address. I am concerned in case it represents a security
loophole

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:46 14 Jun 2008

As the second address is the same as your routers setup page no wonder you cannot access the router when disbled.

Switcher 21:11 14 Jun 2008

The router's setup page is 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.2.1 I'm not surprised that I could not reach it via that address. I merely mentoned that inability as the only difference I could see on disabling it. However I am sure that is not the primary purpose of having the second address and that purpose is what I am trying to ascertain. I have a feeling that it enables access to my network without passing through the router's inbuilt firewall. That is why I disabled it.

Switcher 20:54 16 Jun 2008

Have transferred this to Network forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?