Router problems

morph76 22:38 08 May 2008

Hi all

I bought a Netgear DG834G along with a sweex usb wireless adapter. Firstly, am i stupid in thinking that i could have the router downstairs at the main BT point, and have my PC and ps3 upstairs connected to the internet wirelessly?

I tried to set it up, but im failing miserably at it...would appreciate your help !

woodchip 22:55 08 May 2008

It would be better the other way round but if you are somewhere over the top of it you may get it to connect OK. You need to Connect the Computer first with a Ethernet Cable to setup the router, After you get it to connect to the ISP, You can then Setup the Wireless part in the Router settings, including Encryption So no body out there can use you ISP band width. After setting up the wireless part you need to write down the SSID and Encryption key that you use. Set Encryption to PSK not Wep as it is more secure. PS you use Internet Explorer to setup the Router, It does not connect to the Net, the Setup Page is in the Router Software built into router

morph76 23:02 08 May 2008

Thanks woodchip

I connected it to the pc with the ethernet cable, and have tried to connect it to my isp but with no joy. Ive a feeling that my settings are messed up in network connections

woodchip 23:10 08 May 2008

You cannot connect to your ISP until you setup the router. If you check the CD for setup. There are no drivers to load. You have to start Internet Explorer then put the Router Address in the Address Bar in IE at the top of the page. Mine is http :// 192.168.1.1 with gaps closed before :// and after it. I did it like that so that PCA forum did not change it to a Click hear like this click here but if you hover your mouse over the click hear you will see what and how I mean. it should tell you the address on the CD what to type for the router

woodchip 23:11 08 May 2008

If you get to setup page Password may be admin in lower case letters

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?