router problems

crocstarr 22:56 14 Jul 2006

we have a desktop computer and a laptop that until recently were linked to a router (dl-624 air plus xtreme g). my desktop computer is connected through an ethernet/network cable. and the laptop uses wireless, through a d-link dwl-g650 wireless network card.
basically, until recently the laptop was fine, but then it began to play up so we decided to reboot it. after rebooting it, we put all the software back on, but the wireless card doesnt seem to be picking up the signal from the router, and im stuck and dont know what to do. ive put the ethernet cable/ network cable to the laptop and it connects to the net fine, so basically my problem is getting the router to link with the wireless card. any ideas please?

Forum Editor 08:21 15 Jul 2006

we put all the software back on"

Do you mean that you reformatted the hard drive? Rebooting a computer simply means restarting it, and wouldn't require a software reinstallation.

Did you install the software for the wireless adapter BEFORE you put it in the laptop's slot?

crocstarr 10:29 15 Jul 2006

yes we reformatted the hard drive, yes the software was installed before inserting the card. once the software was installed, we had a d-link icon on the desktop. then we introduced the wireless card, and basically nothing happened. although when you check in the device manager it says the card is working properly.

dms05 10:41 15 Jul 2006

It may well be the DLink Wireless Utility that's causing the problem. If you have that installed and running you can't them use the Windows WiFi connection manager.

Personally I have deleted the manufacturers wifi utility and relied upon the XP wifi manager (and that's the advice widely offered on this forum).

However after reinstalling XP you may also need to adjust your TCP/IP settings and maybe DHCP.

ade.h 13:29 15 Jul 2006

I agree 100% with dms05, based on my own experience.

ade.h 16:44 18 Jul 2006

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?