Is this a Router problem or something else?

david63 10:51 05 Feb 2010

I have a problem with my wireless internet access.

I connect my desktop wirelessly via a dongle, recently it's not been connecting, particularly during peak times, usually I get the "Wireless LAN Card disconnected" message. But, when I view available wireless networks it picks up ones that are from the same ISP as I use (BT incidentally) but not mine (so the dongle is working fine I think). I can't check if the router works with an ethernet cable because my desktop is too far from the router to reach.

Restarting the router sometimes helps, but usually this has no effect, I'm not sure if the problem is with the router (BT supplied too) I don't know if it's ISP as I only live about half a mile from the exchange.

Should I go out and buy a new router? When it's working and I log in to the router all looks fine.

ame 12:32 05 Feb 2010

Ensure no inteference from cordless phone base stations (need to unplug from wall to check) microwaves, TV's etc beside router. Are the wireless LAN and internet indicator lights on and steady - i.e. not flashing? Try changing microfilters (borrow one if necessary.) Check your phone line for background noise using a corded phone in the main socket (where your router should be - not an extension socket.) as noise on the line can prevent synchronisation of router and lights keep flashing. Last thing to do is buy a new router.

ame 14:11 05 Feb 2010

Sorry - I didn't mean that you should buy a new router if these checks fail. What I meant was only buy a new router as a last resort - i.e. if you cannot get further advice and fix the problem. I'd get the pc and router connected by ethernet cable temporarily before I did that.

david63 15:09 05 Feb 2010

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is it's worked perfectly okay for the last 3 years which is why I wondered if it's the router. My desktop and router are clear of all things you listed that could intefere with the signal and the router is plugged into the main BT socket. I haven't thought about replacing the microfilters though, I'l give that a go.

Plugging the desktop into the router via ethernet is probably not practical, the distance involved is about 30 metres, including stairs!

ame 18:03 05 Feb 2010

What router make/model is it? Importantly, what are all the indicator lights doing, including the power/ready light, when you switch it on? If you haven't changed anything recently, it might be the router. Mine went pop the other week after a few days of struggling to connect to the internet. You may be able to change the channel it is working on to avoid problems from other routers nearby by going into the settings, but you need to connect it to your pc by ethernet cable to do this. There will also be a reset button, but unless you save your settings into a file on your pc, you will lose all the setup info and have to set it up again from scratch - not a huge problem though if it has a friendly wizard. Don't you have a telephone extension socket upstairs and/or a long telephone extension cable or long ethernet cable you can try temporarily?

Input Overload 21:22 05 Feb 2010

Try a different channel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017