Router problem.

allright 10:29 01 Aug 2009

Hi, I have just installed a new router and it will only let me connect to the Internet using the ethernet cable, even though without it the wireless gives me a connected icon and full strenth signal, I have tried the firewall settings and that did not work, Any thoughts?

kindly 18:19 01 Aug 2009

Hi allright,
just to be sure your computer does have wireless built in to it. Is it a laptop or desk top. The latter sometimes needs a wireless card or a dongle.

kindly 09:51 02 Aug 2009

Hi allright. just read your post again and saw you have an icon for wireless. Sorry. Ok just click on the wireless icon and when the screen opens up you will see yours and other wireless conections around you. If you click on yours, I dont know if you changed its name but assuming you have not you will get a small box asking for your password. I hope you wrote it down when you set up the router. If not then you will need to go back into the router settings to get it. Just put the password into the box and click ok. You should be ok then.
Do this after unpluging your cable. The address for the router which you put in the address bar at the top of explorer is usually 192.168.0.1 and this will connect you to the router itself. It will ask you for the password and username. They are usually "admin" "password" unless you changed them. Then when you enter into the router setting go to the wireless setting and scroll to the bottom and you will see what your password is for the screen I told you about earlier.

allright 16:24 02 Aug 2009

Hi Kindly, Many thanks for this. However with the wireless I have used the password and it connects me fine, it's just that no pages load (yet they do with the cable). We had a router previously which died, and so this one is a replacement. I used the same SSID name and the same password (WAP) as before, not sure if maybe this has something to do with it and I should have chosen different names? As I say I've tried disabling the firewall, rebooting both the computer and the router etc, but still no joy. Any suggestions much appreciated!

kindly 17:33 02 Aug 2009

Hi allright, what type of router is it. If it is a Linksey one try this site.... click here and look for your router. There might be help there. If you want to, you could turn off the security on the router to try and see if the pages load then. If they do then you might have to check to see if all is set ok on that side of it all. If you have Opera on your computer have you tried to see if that does the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?