Is this a router problem?

XP Medic 19:44 09 Jan 2009

I have a Sony laptop running Vista Home Premium using a wireless internet connection via my Netgear router with no connection or disconnection issues.

Two days ago I received from an online company an Acer Aspire laptop which I had ordered, for my partner to use for her work. The problem is that I can connect to the internet wirelessly from my router but I will loose the signal after 5 minutes (even though my Sony Laptop has stayed connected) and it is necessary to restart the computer to establish an internet connection.

I have reset the laptop to factory settings and still have the problem. I have spoken to both Acer warrenty support and software support and they both say it is my router.

I may be pretty clueless about computers etc but I cannot see it being that problem because of no issues with my Sony laptop and a friends laptop.

Am I missing something or am I really that stupid!?

Jollyjohn 20:10 09 Jan 2009

Hi

Have you checked the power management settings? Is the laptop going to standby? Also in device manager right click on the wireless network adapter and select properties, power management and untick the box that "Allow computer to turn this device off"

Jollyjohn 20:16 09 Jan 2009

Hi

Also try this Start All programs, Accessories, Command prompt
type "cd\" Enter
"ipconfig /all" Enter

Look for Lease obtained and expired, compare with results on your Sony

XP Medic 20:45 09 Jan 2009

Have tried power management settings and turning off option, no joy

The ipconfidg says lease enabled 9 January 2009 and expires 12 January whatever that means!
By the way should IP Routing be enabled?

XP Medic 09:10 10 Jan 2009

It seems it was something to do with the power management settings after all, or disabling the numerous pre-installed software, but thanks for all the advice given

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone