Router via main PC problem

phil 22:22 02 Oct 2009

For the past week I've been unable to connect to the internet on my main PC but perfectly well on my network connected laptop.

I have a D-Link DSL G624T and on the main pc I got something like 'this computer has a limited or no connection' but on the lappie I get 48%.

Tried re-installing the router with no difference and I also couldn't get onto the D-Link control panel at 192.168.1.1

I tried doing the settings manually even though it was already set to find an address automatically but all I got if I set it for 1.2 or 1.3 was 'There is a conflict, these addresses are already in use' I have a third pc that is rarely used but that still connected.

In desperation I have now re-installed Windows XP Home on the PC. It's been on there for five years and never been re-installed so it was about time it was done and what better reason.

Once ready to go I tried to connect the router but kept getting time out errors using the D Link wizard. I also lost the connections to the Laptop and the other PC. After continually trying it I gave up and tried to connect the router directly to the laptop but I kept getting a network card error even though it's a wireless lappie.

Then suddenly everything started to work and I could get a fast laptop connection but on the main PC nothing.

I can load up IE but all I get is a background, eventually, and then it hangs. I downloaded IE8 onto a pen drive and have just installed that but I still get the same result.

Brilliant connection on the lappie but nothing on the PC. It must be connected because I registered Windows via the internet just before installing IE8 but I just cannot get anything to load.

I don't want to install Firefox just yet. Not until I have this problem sorted.

BTW. All this started when I went out after using the PC with out any problem from 9:00am until 9:20am. I came back a hour later and I saw the limited connection message. I checked the Event Log and it appears that while I was out Windows Defender updated itself and then un-installed the update itself ten minutes later. Since that the PC stopped working properly.

Woolwell 22:36 02 Oct 2009

Try turning off the firewall and see if you can connect.

phil 22:41 02 Oct 2009

That was the first thing I did. The second thing was to remove the WEP key and make it un-secured.

Still no better. Since I posted this I have been on Windows Update but it's still trying to connect some twenty minutes later.

Woolwell 22:46 02 Oct 2009

If you cannot access the D-link via 192.168.1.1 from the main PC then you probably do not have a working connection to it. Your IE and Windows Update will hang in this state. Firefox will not help.
Have you turned the router off and on?
Have you also tried to ping the router?

Woolwell 22:47 02 Oct 2009

How are you connecting from the main PC to the router? Try cable.

phil 22:51 02 Oct 2009

The router is connected via a network cable and the other two via wireless.

I've turned the router off about ten times so far. I'm beginning to think a phonecall to D-Link in the morning might be useful.

I'll try pinging.

Woolwell 23:10 02 Oct 2009

This is a long shot - try another port on the router.

phil 23:11 02 Oct 2009

I got:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
request timed out

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 <25% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

phil 23:12 02 Oct 2009

I've tried all four ports.

Woolwell 23:15 02 Oct 2009

Need the network experts really.
What does IPConfig show?

phil 23:27 02 Oct 2009

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Router:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address.......................: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask......................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..................: 192.168.1.1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?