router lights are far too bright - is it possible to disable them

laptopdunce 13:32 23 Sep 2014
Answered

I have a Huawei HG655D wifi router (in The Netherlands) it has green LED lamps on it which are incredibly bright, I thought I was the only person with this problem but this guy explains it exactly as I fine it:- click here is not possible to turn the router off at nights (the phone plugs into the router unlike in UK where the phone is totally independent of the router!!) hence it is far too bright, even with silver foil over the top of the lamps the whole router "glows" green in the dark - is there a way to disable the lamps on this router? its utter INSANITY that these things are made with these far too bright lamps, as they are used in The Netherlands where the router has to be on 24/7 or the phone wont work! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

It

Woolwell 13:38 23 Sep 2014

Unless the manual says you can then it is probably not possible. The lights are there for a reason (they show the status). On some routers it is possible to dim them but not turn them off.

You must have a VOIP phone.

You still haven't learnt about shouting.

johndrew 14:05 23 Sep 2014

You could stick a piece of plain white paper over them. You should be able to see them through it but they will be less bright.

wee eddie 14:19 23 Sep 2014

The traditional method is a piece of Insulating Tape or an Elastoplast.

One of those Round Corn Plasters would be neat!

tullie 15:01 23 Sep 2014

Just do as the boys advised,this is not rocket science.

Jollyjohn 16:11 23 Sep 2014

Paper bag over the router!

SparkyJack 17:50 23 Sep 2014

1,Stick gaffer tape over them.

1. Put it in drawer with the phone wire coming out of the partly closed drawer.

2. Lay it face down and cover it with thick knickers.DRO IT into a boot,stuff a sock on top.

Woolwell 18:26 23 Sep 2014

Bearing in mind that routers need ventilation.

Woolwell 18:28 23 Sep 2014

Fairly sure that you can get a non-VOIP phone in the Netherlands ie one that doesn't have to connect to the router.

laptopdunce 18:48 23 Sep 2014

what is a VOIP phone? my subsrciption is like TalkTalk in England, it runs the landline phone and broadband internet from the router, but unlike in England where your phone is still plugged into the phone socket this one has to be plugged into the router, (very uneconomical as you can never turn off the router and have the phone working - utterly stupid in my opinion as I turn off my router every night in England) - as I said I tried silver foil over the top lamps on the router but the whole thing glows green, might try to make a tin foil cover to cover the entire thing at nighttime. As the other link showed, this is a problem with these super bright lamps, I had none of this trouble with the old router (thomson) but this one has lots of piercing green lamps on it. LAPTOPDUNCE

alanrwood 19:50 23 Sep 2014

VOIP stands for Voice over IP ie using the computer broadband to send and receive voice. I doubt if you have this facility as your normal means of telephone unless you use Skype or Vonage for example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone