Router for Laptop

redvet 17:44 03 Sep 2008

Apologies if this post is in the wrong area and also if its a bit basic. I have a new (and first) laptop which has Vista Business installed, I need a router and would be grateful for some advice please.

brundle 19:09 03 Sep 2008

Wired or wireless?

How do you connect to the internet now? Via a modem?

ADSL (phone line) or cable (box on the wall)?

redvet 22:58 03 Sep 2008

Thanks for the response.
Wired.
I have a desktop PC which I am replacing, I connect with a router to that but the router a Zyxel is faulty and I would be replacing that anyway. I have an ADSL phone line on the wall.

brundle 23:35 03 Sep 2008

There are plenty of options - I like Netgear kit myself, but Linksys, Belkin and Zyxel are fine too. If you pay a little more for a wireless router you can disable the wireless capability until you require it - as it's becoming so prevalent now, buying a wired-only router would be a false economy unless you're sure you'll never use wireless access.
I'll stick to Netgear for suggestions;
Wired - click here
Wireless including USB adapter - click here

redvet 05:34 04 Sep 2008

Many thanks again, you have given me plenty of options, think I will give Netgear ago.

redvet 07:08 04 Sep 2008

Brundle.... Noticed different routers have different transfer rates, how important a factor is this and is it a case of the more you pay the better performance you get ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?