Router Issue

ordell 16:02 26 Jul 2007

First off i should apologise because my problem has no doubt been covered ad nauseam but i've had a browse through the threads and i didn't know what was relevant to my problem.

I currently have a Belkin wireless G router which i have connected to a Virgin Media(NTL) modem. The belkin router is wirelessly connected to a Vista Laptop and to a PC running XP with a wired connection.

The issue that i have is that i have only recently managed to get the wireless connection working propperly due to interferance from a video sender. With that device now off i have been able to get a wireless internet connection in the house for the first time however the connection only works when viewing web pages. If i want to download something or stream video it only gets around 4MB downloaded before cutting out, all my internet settings are in order, so it's not anything to do with that. This problem happens on both the wired and wireless connections.
It also occurs when Xbox live is on, it often disconnects in the middle of games.
At first i thought it was a firewall problem but after checking the settings on Zone Alarm they seemed to be correct and it wouldn't explain the xbox connection dropping.

I'd appreciate any advice as the router is one step from being thrown out the window!!
Cheers

recap 20:23 26 Jul 2007

This could depend on your ISP as they do cap users for going over a certain limit

Toffly 22:52 26 Jul 2007

And have had exactly the same problem, the only difference is that mines an ADSL router, not cable.

From what I can tell, the router was just crapping out after a lot of bandwidth was put through it. Couldn't tell what the problem was though, as I couldn't even telnet into the damn thing when it died, so just had to keep restarting it. Even resetting back to factory defaults didn't cure it it.

Then one day, it just started behaving again, and as far as I can tell, I didn't do anything. Very strange.

Strawballs 00:16 27 Jul 2007

I don't know why it is cutting out after about 4 meg but with video sender did you try all the different channels on the router?

ordell 13:54 27 Jul 2007

Last night while having a look through the settings it randomly started working again, and i was able to stream and download propperly. I woke up this morning and tried it again but it was up to it's old tricks again. So i had a look through the settings and i saw that i was on the wrong time zone and i changed it to GMT and after applying the changes it started working!! It's absolute madness!

I think it may be time to get a better router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone