Router installation disc question.

castiel333 00:26 10 Dec 2007

Hi

I have one desktop pc and have cable broadband (Virgin media) and am about to connect a laptop wirelessly using a netgear router.

The router came with two installation discs one for the router and one for the usb adapter.

Could someone please tell me if I have to install the one for the router in both the desktop pc (which is to remain wired) and the laptop or just the desktop or just the laptop.

brundle 01:00 10 Dec 2007

Only need the CD for the laptop. Actually, it's usually best to plug the device in, allow Windows to detect it and ask for drivers then click through the folders on the CD to the actual device driver. Otherwise the manufacturer's own wireless connection software will be installed and I've not seen one yet that does the job better than XP's built in wireless connection management software. However, you can always disable the third-party software if you find it doesn't perform properly. I am assuming XP as a Vista laptop is almost certain to be wireless and an older laptop with Win98/ME won't have wireless management software built-in anyway.

castiel333 01:13 10 Dec 2007

Thank you so much for your reply and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone