Router how does it fit

ZEROTOLERANCE 20:42 28 Apr 2004

i have just brought a belkin router, but there were no instructions, where does the lead go, in the wan port?

dez fowler 20:49 28 Apr 2004

what model router? what lead?

ZEROTOLERANCE 20:50 28 Apr 2004

there also appears to be no drive disc, will i need one?

ZEROTOLERANCE 20:51 28 Apr 2004

model no F5D5230-4, theres only one lead,

ZEROTOLERANCE 20:53 28 Apr 2004

it fits the wan port as well as the other 4
its the same as the plug for phone lines on modem (catsle shaped)

interzone55 21:07 28 Apr 2004

You plug your PCs into the 4 LAN ports, the WAN port is for uplinking to another hub, so you can connect more PCs.

The WAN port could also be used to connect an ADSL or Cable modem equipped with an RJ45 ethernet port, thereby sharing your internet connection without having to have your main PC on all the time.

NB Unless your modem has an ethernet port / or your router has a USB Modem port, you will still need to have the PC that is connected to the modem switched on all the time in order to share the internet connection.

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:15 28 Apr 2004

so where does the phone line plug into? or do i plug phone line into modem built in to tower,

then out of plug next to phone socket into the router?

i have something called a RhineII fast ethernet adapter, is this the ethernet port?

sorry to be thick but im a bit of a begginer

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:25 28 Apr 2004

come on, Surely, some one must know how to set it up?!?!
and it should say "castle" shaped above.

interzone55 21:28 28 Apr 2004

Your router most probably doesn't have a modem built in. If it does there would be a phone type socket (slightly smaller than a network port). It's unlikely it would have a standard "dial up" modem built in, they are usually ADSL / Cable modem routers, and sometimes ISDN.

If you're trying to share a dial-up internet connection with a router you will need to set up internet connection sharing on the PC with the modem, then set the other PC(s) to share this connection, follow Windows Prompts as I've never used Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

When I was on Dial up I used a little program called iProxy, available free from click here it's a useful little program, and simple to use once it's set up, just follow the help file to the letter.

ZEROTOLERANCE 22:12 28 Apr 2004

ive just connected it to the back of the puter
with the other end of the lead in port one
it now shows local area connection enabled in network connections, unfortunatly none of the cables i have fit in the other ports so im gonna have to buy some 2morrow and see what happens

kp 22:40 28 Apr 2004

A manual for your router can be downloaded click here

kp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?