router help for virgin media user??

poppysmama 19:51 29 Apr 2008

Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I am about to buy a laptop and therefore need a wireless router. I am a virgin media customer and my internet cable comes directly from my set top box (no modem) I hope that makes sense??
Can I assume that I need a cable router not a modem router?
I have bought one today, a BELKIN G+ cable router 802.11g but im loathe to open the box in case its the wrong type and I end up in an arguement with the woman at ARGOS lol
Can some-one tell me if this one is what I need, or if not, can some-one suggest one to me
Thank you

brundle 19:56 29 Apr 2008

What's the model number?

poppysmama 20:05 29 Apr 2008

mmm not sure of model number, just looked at box and it doesnt appear to have a model number. It was described as a cable router not a modem router but the info on the side of the box says I connect it to the modem.. bit worrying.

brundle 20:06 29 Apr 2008

A boxed product with no model number? Well, you're right in thinking you want a cable modem, not a combined modem/router. No way to check for sure if it's the right type without taking it out of the box, though it sounds as though you have the right piece of kit.

VoG II 20:20 29 Apr 2008

I would contact Virgin before opening the box click here

poppysmama 20:27 29 Apr 2008

Took a look at the belkin website and got this info for the router I bought.

Part Number Description UPC
F5D7231uk4 Wireless G+ Router 722868512234

Does that make sense to anyone? I think i'll just have to suck it up and buy the wireless kit from virgin :(

brundle 20:27 29 Apr 2008

The cable box in the home is usually mistakenly called a cable modem when it's actually a CSU, just an end-point for the signal from the supplier that converts it into a usable form for your equipment, so there is plenty of room for confusion.

brundle 20:29 29 Apr 2008

Yes that's for cable internet.

Yes that's for cable internet.

I'm so sure I said it twice...

poppysmama 20:34 29 Apr 2008

Thank you..... no doubt i'll be back for more help tomorrow when the laptop arrives LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?