Router to enable wireless connection to laptop

dcjewell 06:06 06 Sep 2007

I have previously set up our network so that our laptop can operate seperatly from our desk top PC.

I have connected the Belkin router to the PC, and then connected the router to the Speedstream modem.

This has been working satisfactorily for several months until today, when I was told by my ISP that I should connect the modem directly to the PC for intenet access and reconfigure the router connection or he laptop.

I disconnected the router, and when I connected the modem directly to the PC, I got over 100 new e-mails when I access my Outlook Express account(many of which were duplicates of what I already had).

So how to I reconnect the PC, modem and router so that the wireless network for the laptop works?

Forum Editor 06:59 06 Sep 2007

1. Connect your modem to your broadband connection.

2. Connect the modem to the router.

3. Connect your PC to the router, either via an ethernet cable, or via a wireless adapter, if your PC has one.

4. Connect the laptop to the router wirelessly.

The principal is that your router is connected to the internet via the modem, and then it (router) distributes the internet access to the computers. If you connect your modem directly to your PC it means that your PC must be running before the laptop can access the internet, and that defeats the whole point.

dcjewell 07:37 06 Sep 2007

Thank you for your prompt response. The actions should resolve the matter, and I have checked the box accordingly.

Interestingly though, prior to today we could access the internet on the laptop without the desk top PC being on..

Cheers, Denis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?