Router dropping connection

skidzy 21:56 19 Sep 2007

Home network all xp machines.
Desktop hardwired to the router via ethernet,all other machine wireless and secured.

Router D-Link G604T

Problem is at very random intervals the connection is lost,rebooting the router by disconnecting the power cures this and away we go again.

However if the boys are connected to there game server,they do not lose there connection...only the browsers lose the connection !

Using the command prompt C:\>ipconfig /flushdns and clearing the resolver cache does not help.

The drop outs are very random ranging from every 2 hours to possibly 6-8 hours.

As usual,all advice welcome.

Thankyou
Skidzy

Technotiger 22:03 19 Sep 2007

Hmm, strange one - I wish I could offer some assistance, unfortunately not - except to say, perhaps the Networking Forum might be a better bet for a possible solution.

skidzy 22:07 19 Sep 2007

Possibly Techno,but will try here first.
Thanks for the input.

Hopefully if Dipso is around he may enlighten me a bit...heres hoping :-)

Though maybe time for a new router,after all, it is a couple of years old now.

Technotiger 22:12 19 Sep 2007

Yeah, I recently changed my router - I now have the BT Homehub limited version, it is excellent and extremely easy to set up. I got it free when upgrading my BT broadband.

provider 2 22:21 19 Sep 2007

Interesting. My Netgear DG 834 PN does this too, but so very occasionally it could hardly be called a habit. What causes it, I don`t have a clue but invariably swiching off then on again is all it needs to function for weeks without a hitch.

woodchip 22:24 19 Sep 2007

This may just be your ISP that's doing it.

woodchip 22:25 19 Sep 2007

PS in the Router Settings check what setting you have idle time set to. I have mine on 0

skidzy 22:25 19 Sep 2007

The silly thing is and i failed to mentioned,if i reboot the host pc that is connected to the router....all is well again.

So is it the host pc causing the router to drop out ?

provider 2 22:26 19 Sep 2007

Dropping my connection, you mean? How come?

woodchip 22:28 19 Sep 2007

As above check router Idle time

kinger 22:29 19 Sep 2007

My router was losing its Internet connection for those using wireless but those hard wired were OK.

It turned out to be the sunshine.

Seriously.

I move it away from my window sill and it works fine again. Move it back and the wireless connection fails.

I found out by noticing that it only happened in the afternoons, never at night or in the mornings when the sun was round the other side of the house.

So try moving your router to a shady position for a while to see if it stops the connection problems.

I've since heard that the sunlight can cause problems with the wireless beams.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone