Router connected but cannot find web pages

steve0 17:28 24 Oct 2008

Hi - I have a problem with a friend's computer. He has a new Netgear DG834G router that works fine on my computer. On his machine, running win xp the router says it is connected but internet will not work. When you go to any web page it just says page not found. I did the following:
In CMD ran ipconfig/release, ipconfig/flushdns, ipconfig/renew. I then tried to ping news.google.com - did not work

If I did a ping of 74.125.19.104 it opened the Google website. Have DNS set for automatic from ISP, but on this machine cannot find websites if I type in their name. As I said, if I use the router on my machine on the same phone line then everything works OK.

Is it possible that a virus has messed up something with the DNS settings in the registry. Please help.

Tech Guy 18:36 24 Oct 2008

Hi there,

chnage the DNS setting in the network setting to

prim: 208.67.222.222
sec: 208.67.220.220

steve0 22:45 24 Oct 2008

Thanks Tech Guy

Have tried that but did not work.

Tech Guy 00:58 25 Oct 2008

It is clearly a DNS issue, so have a look at this:

click here

Failing that if there is nothing important on computer: there's alway the good old re-install.

steve0 09:39 25 Oct 2008

Thanks tech guy - I think it could be a reinstall of windows. My friend is also concerned that their credit card details were taken a few months ago - not definite if it was by using the computer, but on their old router they had the wireless on (but not used) and had no security on it. The reason I think a virus may have caused this is that in the log of Bullguard there are two virus alerts that occurred around the time that their internet stopped working.

Another strange thing is that on boot up there are two windows that start of windows installer. Nothing gets installed, but it takes several minutes for them to finish. Thanks for your time on this.

Tech Guy 12:50 25 Oct 2008

I asked a colleage in passing about this and he said it could be a trojan, as there was one a couple of years ago that messed with the DNS in the registry.

Failing all other standard fixes, he recommends a format then re-install.

steve0 12:56 25 Oct 2008

Thanks Tech Guy

I'm starting to think along these lines as well. It's just a hassle having to reinstall, I wanted to try other things first. I'll leave thread open a little longer to see if anyone has other ideas, and then will close it.
Thanks again.

Forum Member2 14:59 26 Oct 2008

i think that you should reinstall, this has happened to one of my clients

steve0 18:29 27 Oct 2008

Thanks Forum member2 - was what happened to onr of your clients the result of a virus - just wondering.

steve0 17:20 29 Oct 2008

Have decided to format and reinstall windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?