router

YAMA 22:24 02 Aug 2008

just got a wireless router from ebay, on exming, found it was not what i want, this is a netger wgr14-6vguks.vergin broadband, Iam on aol broadband, was told to get a netgear for the wireless. this says on it 54mbps,so will it do,or will i have return it, if i keep it will i be able to down load a drive to use for aol, please advise
regards yamma,
ps
I have just got a new full desktop pc from dell
vostro2000
win xp pro

rdave13 22:28 02 Aug 2008

If it's not what you want then return it. If advertised wrongly you are in the right.
Routers are relatively cheap today so think about other retailers who will give warranties.

rdave13 22:41 02 Aug 2008

This is the router I use for AOL; click here

skidzy 22:44 02 Aug 2008

If the router is locked to the provider it will be no good unless you can unlock it.

As rdave says,they are cheap enough now,so shop around.

I replaced my D-Link DSL 604 this week with a BELKIN WIRELESS N MODEM Wireless Router click here this was an absolute nightmare to setup as the install disc would not recognise my isp details,but a simple phonecall to the ever helpful Belkin support helped me along.
It was quite simple in the end as the router configuration needed changing.

Ive got to say,its an impressive router and the speed of file transfers around the house is exceptional.A little expensive for some,but worth the the extra cost in my opinion.
And Vista compatible and Belkin gives this model a lifetime warranty.

Strawballs 22:50 02 Aug 2008

click here any one of these will do for AOL through a BT Phone line.

YAMA 23:43 02 Aug 2008

thanks for the advice, so you are all saying that this type is not the right one, and i should go for netgear DG834G, I have requested to return the router, so I hope I can send it back, got it to after a bit of a mix up on my part, had it sent to the wrong address, so fingers crossed, regards yama

woodchip 00:07 03 Aug 2008

Never new they could lock them

rdave13 00:14 03 Aug 2008

By updating the 'firmware' you can unlock them.

woodchip 00:15 03 Aug 2008

This takes some beating click here

YAMA 01:15 03 Aug 2008

thanks to all of you for your advice, woodchip had a look and it looks a good price, but do you say it will work with aol broadband,
regards yama

rdave13 01:24 03 Aug 2008

Personally I'd stick to what AOL supports; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?