Rotating videos from Landscape to Portrait mode

ex4thhussar 10:13 25 Sep 2007

Hi
As a relatively newcomer to taking Videos with Mobile Phones (forgive me...I'm an oldie) I note that when I tip the camera to take a video "landscape" mode this is what I am going to get when I upload it to my PC via a USB.
Is there any free software out there that whill let me reconvert it to Portrait mode.
Many thanks for any help
Ron

ex4thhussar 11:43 25 Sep 2007

Hi Marg7

Many thanks for prompt reply.
I am dashing off forthwith to check it out and will report back.

Ron

eedcam 12:44 25 Sep 2007

You can rotate in windows movie maker which you already have with XP if it accepts your format

ex4thhussar 14:28 25 Sep 2007

Hi Marg7 & eedcam

Reporting back:

I tried virtual dub and also Windows Movie Maker but regrettably neither will recognise the file extension which, on my Nokia 6300 anyway, is .3gp

Any further ideas please?

Ron

Technotiger 14:36 25 Sep 2007

This free program will convert your 3gp to AVI, WMV will then be able to handle your files.

click here

and no doubt others may have similar ideas/programs that will do the same thing.

ex4thhussar 14:59 25 Sep 2007

Hi TechnoTiger

Loaded and ran your suggested converter (for which much thanks) but cant find an option to save as an AVI file.
Further thoughts please?
Ron

Technotiger 16:30 25 Sep 2007

If you run your file(s) in Windows Movie Maker, the normal Save options are under File - top left.

Technotiger 16:32 25 Sep 2007

By the way - I have not used the converter program myself, but in that program there is probably a Help section, or FAQ sections.

eedcam 22:31 25 Sep 2007

Marg Is there an option to export, rather than save as in the free programme?
Is that referring to wmm if so save is the the same thing you have to then choose what format to save in

eedcam 13:02 26 Sep 2007

Hi Marg See what you mean though wmm does'nt use the word export either only save.

eedcam 18:34 26 Sep 2007

I got that Marg I was meaning the term Export regardlesss of programme and wmm does'nt use the word and in away at times it is only the same as save as

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?