room on the start menu.

elbecko 22:26 01 Dec 2008

every time i click on 'start', i get a message saying ' some items cannot be shown. there is not enough room to show all the items you have added to the 'start menu'. then it goes on about using smaller icons etc.

i don't understand what its about. is it talking about the programs that start each time the computer is turned on? isn't that the 'start menu'? i only have 12 items there.

is it talking about 'all programs'? there is plenty of room left there.

can anyone help please?

Technotiger 22:38 01 Dec 2008

Right-click on Start>Properties, then on Customize - this is what the message refers to.

Sea Urchin 22:43 01 Dec 2008

Just to expand Technotiger's post:

This message has confused many people. It seems to say that you've pinned too many items to the Start menu, but that's not the only possibility. The left-hand side of the Start menu holds two special collections of icons. Above the line are those you've pinned to the Start menu, and below are those that Microsoft Windows thinks are your most-used apps. If the total number in both groups is too large to display, one or more of the most-used apps won't show up, and you'll get the warning.

This is easy to solve. Right-click the task bar, choose Properties, click the Start menu tab, and click the Customize button. In the middle, there's a control labelled Number of programs on Start menu. Click the Start button, count the menu items below the line, and set this value to match. Click OK, OK, and the warning won't bother you again.

elbecko 11:41 02 Dec 2008

thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie