Rogue Spyware tries to download on computer.

birdface 21:39 21 Oct 2008

Hi.I seem to have a problem with rogue Anti-Spyware program trying to install itself on my computer.This looks to be happening on a weekly basis.Just wondering if anyone else has been getting the same problem.It downloads the security warning box that my computer may be infected, then tries to install itself automatically.This only happens when browsing for fix problems.Windows XP Home.I have A Squared and AVG both paid for versions.Kerio Firewall paid for.Also have MawareBytes and Fixiedef .Also WinPatrol and McAfee Site Advisor.I have also ran a Rootkit scan that found nothing.Just wondering when they start trying to download could they leave something on the computer that may download at a later date.Any advice welcome.You really have to be quick to remove it before it downloads fully.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 21 Oct 2008

Any idea what its called?

sanchoPanza 21:56 21 Oct 2008

click here
av2009?
this starts to get it off,then use other apps to fully clean it such as asquared

birdface 22:01 21 Oct 2008

Full scan with A Squared to-day found nothing.Just doing another scan and so far it has found 2 problems in Temporary Internet files. Adware,Fakeantivirus.Lik and Adware Fakeantivirus mik.Now scan is just finished.I have quarantined both problems.Would I be right in thinking that if I delete temporary Internet files I should also get rid of the problem.

Technotiger 22:07 21 Oct 2008

A good idea to delete temp files anyway - plus run your anti-spyware programs in Safe mode with System Restore turned off (don't forget to turn System Restore back on again afterwards).

sanchoPanza 22:11 21 Oct 2008

try running combofix first,then the scans will run fully

MAJ 22:13 21 Oct 2008

Yes, delete the temp files, buteman, then try installing Spywareblaster click here see if it can keep the offender away.

birdface 22:19 21 Oct 2008

Hi.Thanks for your help.I have heard of some folk having problems after running combofix.So I will leave it just now and if it happens again I will definately use it.

birdface 22:22 21 Oct 2008

yes .Sorry I missed that one out I do have it installed and fully updated.But it shows you that McAfee Site Advisor does not seem to be doing its job properly.Now going to run the scans again in safe mode.So will be back on later. Thanks every one for their advice.

provider 2 22:35 21 Oct 2008

buteman,

Don`t forget Malwarebytes on the deep scan, preferably in Safe Mode.

provider 2 22:45 21 Oct 2008

Past year search on Google comes up only with your names for those things:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?