Rogue program

Johnboy 00:42 17 Apr 2003

I think that some rogue program has gotinto my XP. I can no longer set up the ethernet broadband card except by saelecting the "always on"ption. When I try to Restore it says that restore is not available.

So I am going to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. I have qa second hard drive. Is there a freeware program that will allow me to move the files and programs I have (which I suspect are untainted) to the 2nd drive before I do the reformat? this way I hope to save a lot of time reinstalling programs and then going thru the laborious process of updating them.

hugh-265156 01:32 17 Apr 2003

what isp etc and why do you need to reset up?if its any use on doing a complete system reinstall of xp a few weeks ago i just plugged in my ntl modem and did not need to use the software to install it it worked straight away.ps im now getting 70k downloads where before i got 60-65k using the software.

Johnboy 05:06 17 Apr 2003

I live in Hong Kong and use Netvigator.com.

A deep clean of the hard disc will erase all my programs many of which have been updated by downloads. I figure the only way to get rid of the bug is to completely reformat the HD thus the original settings will disappear. I know how to save email, address book etc but want to "migrate" programs from the master HD to the slave beofre reformaating the master.

-pops- 06:59 17 Apr 2003

There is the Files & Settings transfer Wizard already in XP.

One point though. If you are moving programs ready to re-install, you may be also moving the very thing that you want rid of.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?