A rogue dialler plus ads1.search miracle pop up

Lavenham 22:46 25 Mar 2005

I am running windows xp. I had problems with dso exploit and elitum elite toolbar, I have used spy bot, microsoft antispyware spyblaster adaware also I have cleared out histories but I am still being bugged by these annoying popups, is there anything else I can do to get rid of them for good? Incidentally I thought I had succeeded but once connected to the internet they returned.

Night Ryder 22:58 25 Mar 2005

I had a similar problem a while ago with the same op system. I installed the Google toolbar which has a very effective popup blocker. I don't see popups any more.

EdFrench 22:58 25 Mar 2005

Make sure that you turn off system restore before you scan.
Try a-squared click here
I had to clean a friend's pc the other day and it took scans from adaware - a-squared - spybot s&d, with spybot checking on reboot twice. Switching off restore on all drives was key there.

Lavenham 23:19 25 Mar 2005

Many thanks for the idea of turning off system restore I havent tried that. I will try that tomorrow as I am exhausted from all the constant scans I have been doing since 10.00am this morning.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:36 25 Mar 2005

Sys restore-turn off-scan-reboot-turn back on.

G

Lavenham 01:07 29 Mar 2005

Many thanks to everyone who has provided info on spyware, at last after 10 days it seems as though I have finally cleared the elite toolbar plus rogue dialler from my computer. I used adaware, spyblaster, elite toolbar remover, microsoft spyware, spy bot, all in safe mode. I now am going to create a new system restore as that was blocked. I am extremely grateful to all of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?