Rkill ++ ongoing problem ++ Sweetpacks removal

laptopdunce 18:04 05 Aug 2013

this is connected to a previous posting, not sure if I should start a new thread so here goes:- HELP!! this has taken on a sinister dimension, my laptop wont open any of the programmes now! I am using a little netbook on the same router, I havent started the Rkill process yet for getting rid of this AWFUL SweetPacks thing, can I download the Rkill programme (and the other one, the AdwClearner programme to a USB stick from this netbook?? and then try and load it to my laptop that is infected? would I have to do that in the "safe Mode" - how could I get Rkill installed to the other laptop?? I am only getting my screensaver picture when I log on to windows and none of the programmes on the desktop are showing BUT if I start it up in the safe mode nearly all the desktop programmes are showing, so I figure this Sweetpack is f**king up the laptop so it wont access the internet or open desktop programmes?? Luckily I did print off the instructions yesterday - Oh what a NIGHMARE!! I am jigling this along with appointments and being in and out, Oh, its HORRIBLE - Should I post this question again as another topic thread? I will do inTech Helproom as I have to go out again now and wont be back till very late, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE - will I get my laptop working again?? I dont want to have to buy a new one, this is only 4 months old!!

Jollyjohn 20:26 05 Aug 2013

Time for a re install of your OS.

If you haven't backed up your data then do a repair first, back up your data, then do a clean re install complete with a format of the hard drive.

When you put your data back do a virus scan, install Malwarebytes and do a full scan.

Details of your laptop and OS would help.

laptopdunce 00:03 06 Aug 2013

I have a Sony Vaio windows 7 laptop, Oh, God this is getting more and more complicated! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

onthelimit1 08:35 06 Aug 2013

Can you run Safe Mode with networking? If so, you could download and run RKill. Follow that with Malwarebytes. If Desktop still not showing, run Unhide from Bleeping Computer.. If all fails then the reinstall suggested would be the way I'd go.

Jollyjohn 08:50 06 Aug 2013

Go here click here Sony support. Lots of options for getting help.

Do you need any of the data on the laptop?

If yes, we need to recover that.

If no then we can simply re install W7.

Read your manual and look for the option to "Restore to factory settings" or similar. Set aside some time and follow these steps, make notes as you go.

Once W7 has re installed it will update itself, this will take about a day and several restarts. You do not need to be in front of the laptop the whole time.

Install anti virus - I use Avast or Microsoft security essentials. Install Malwarebytes I would also install CCleaner, this gives an easier to use interface to change what starts when the laptop starts and for removing programs. Install any other programs you need, MS office, Adobe reader, etc.

Then when you are happy with the set up create a System Image. This can be done by W7. Create a system repair disc. Then should you have any problems in the future you can get your system back to this point fairly quickly.

johndrew 09:41 06 Aug 2013

I am unsure of what you have tried in the past, but this option looks good for resolving the problem and it provides full instructions.

laptopdunce 11:24 06 Aug 2013

HI, I ran the Rkill which I downloaded from my netbook (which is handy for internet in emergencies but not practical) then I installed it (in SAFE mode on the Sony Vaio laptop) and ran it and the Adware programme also, and it seems to have cleared the Sweetapcks and DeltaSearch virus BUT I can get on the internet now and get my yahoo homepage on i.e. BUT my toolbar with all my "widgets" for frequewsntly used websites has disappeared and it still jams horribly when I go into hotmail (for instance) and wont open a message. I think a full restore is the best way to go!! As was suggested, I know there were no recovery disks with this Sony Vaio ( I have just found the pamphlet for it) it says it is a Sony Vaio Recover, Backup and troubleshooting guide, I am QUITE AFRAID of all this but I think it is the only way to go now, I have a 500gb usb external drive that I can save all my documents and photos to, should I trander all those first so I dont lose them all? and then what should I do?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE -

laptopdunce 11:28 06 Aug 2013

PS: Johndrew, that option link you sent WAS the solution that I tried! but I am still getting jamming on the i.e. and chrome browsers, it will let me into hotmail on i.e. browser but wont allow me to open an email, then keeps coming up with that banner at the bottom saying "live not responding" I think as JollyJohn suggested that the Recover to factory settings is the ONLY option now, which I am DREADING!!! being a total novice and a LAPTOPDUNCE!! thanks Laptopdunce

onthelimit1 11:35 06 Aug 2013

Yes - save everything before you do anything else. If you then tap F10 during boot, it should bring up the recovery options (I say 'should', as my info says that is the case for the vaio).

laptopdunce 12:35 06 Aug 2013

Hi, this really kinda strange, I AM currently copying the photos and docs folder to a large USB external drive, BUT I am now getting all the email programmes and websites showing on my i.e. browser, they are a little slow but they are opening OK and I have BBC player playing the radio, I dont have my old toolbar (yahoo) with all the little "widgets" on it anymore, I had a bar with all the most commonly used website icons on it so I could gostraight into anything from EasyJet to PCadvisor, how can I get this favourites bar back on yahoo toolbar? I shall save all the docs and photos and look at doing the full restore later as I have a busy day and dont want to get into a temper if all this goes wrong!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 06 Aug 2013

If you really want the yahoo toolbar back then just download and reinstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?