RJ11 or RJ45?

GrayM 08:49 01 Jan 2009

I've recently moved into a new house where the incoming phone socket is a long way from where I want to site my PC. My new house is also a long way from the exchange so I want to do everything I can to maximise my ADSL broadband. Currently running a 20m phone extension to the router next to the PC but I know this is affecting the speed so I'm looking at 2 other options:

1. Running a 20m RJ11 lead from the filter on the incoming phone socket to the router by the PC
or
2. Siting the router next to the phone socket and then running a 20m RJ45 ethernet lead to the PC.

Question is will there be a difference in speed between the two options? Option 1 is the preferred as there is currently no electrical power near the phone socket and also the RJ11 cable is thinner and will be easier to lay.

Cheers

Gray

ambra4 12:52 01 Jan 2009

The correct way is to install a proper extension box using the correct type of telephone cable

Using a phone extensions cable can introduce, noise and other problems on the phone line

Remove the filter and install it on the new extension box and connect the ASDL modem / router

GrayM 16:07 01 Jan 2009

Thanks for that but what is the correct telephone cable and extension box?

ambra4 16:58 01 Jan 2009

Maplin will have all that you need to do the job

Telephone Wall Sockets & Connectors

click here

Telephone Cables

click here

How to wire a UK telephone extension

click here

GrayM 20:10 01 Jan 2009

I would not normally run a router on an extension either but needs must at the moment.

Still not sure whether there will be any detriment to running a long lead from the filter on the master socket into the router by the PC.

Ambra4 - thanks for the links.

ambra4 22:07 01 Jan 2009

Never had any problems running a modem / router off a extension once the wiring is done in a

professional manner and not just put together in a slap happy manner.

In fact my present broadband system is connected to a extension box, and never had any

problems since installing

GrayM

Take a read on this site it will help to make a proper professional connection

Tools & Installation

click here

GrayM 20:38 03 Jan 2009

Wired in a proper phone extension today and broadband speed is much improved !!!!

Thanks

ambra4 21:16 03 Jan 2009

Glad to hear system now working better than before, and you have done a professional wiring job

Enjoy And a Happy New Year to you and the Family

Tick the box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?