RITVSCAN.exe unable to locate component

alstemp 00:22 03 Jan 2008

Hi - can anyone help with this . . .

Over past few days upon start up of my Windows XP Pro I keep getting the message "RITVSCAN.exe unable to locate component". Which I then minimise.

However since this has happened I have been also unable to open any Word or Office documents or my iTunes, everything seems to take forever to download or load, especially internet.

Bit of other background - also a few days ago I tried to reinstall my Windows Service Installer as was being prompted to reinstall it. but was unsuccessful and fear I have deleted some important files from the Registry.

I have also tried to do a System Restore but have obviously inadvertently disabled my System Restore at some stage as it only lets me see info for January 08 and nothing before then, ie I have lost all my system restore points.

Unfortunately I do not have any installation discs or XP or Office CDs as this is an ex-work computer which was given to me when I left.

I am now in a huge pickle and don't know what to do:

1. is there anyway to solve this RTVSCAN.exe issue?
2. is there any other way I can restore my system?

thanks regards

Alstemp

brundle 01:12 03 Jan 2008

Are you sure it's not RTVSCAN.exe, in which case remove and re-install any Norton/Symantec software you are using. click here

If the software came with the machine and you have no means of re-installing it, there are free alternatives; click here

Download Windows Installer 3.1 here; click here

alstemp 08:12 03 Jan 2008

Hi Brundle thanks for this

Yes is it is RTVSCAN and not RITVSCAN.

I downloaded the Windows Installer 3.1 as you detailed above. However when I try to download the Norton removal software it won't let me and I keep being prompted with "requires Windows Installer version 1.1 or higher" ... which I don't understand as I have just installed Windows INstaller 3.1?!!!

can you suggest why this is?

thanks regards

brundle 09:05 03 Jan 2008

Sounds like something is a bit broken - neither uninstaller needs Windows installer at all, they're just executable files. Though they may invoke the uninstaller to get rid of Norton. Try DialAFix which is more often used to solve Windows Update issues, but can also help with installer problems. click here

Just to clarify - you mean, when you actually download, before you even have the file you get the `installer` warning, or when you attempt to run it?

alstemp 22:06 03 Jan 2008

Hi Brundle

I get the "installer" warning when I attempt to run it . . (ref your point above)

Ref Dial a Fix. Have tried this but it's v complicated and giving me error messages I don't understand or wouldn't have a clue how to fix:

When I do the "Fix Installer" bit I get:
msiexec.exe - Windows cannot find "misiexec.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try agin. To search fore a file, click the search button & then click search.
Dial-a-Fix - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe was not found. pls extract the file from your installation and try again.
Plus a Dial-a-Fix pop up box saying:
Dial-aFix restrictive properties
Hive
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software\policies\microsoft\windows\windowsUpdate\AU\AUOptions
Value 4
Type REG DWORD

Please help!!!! what do I do next?

many thanks

brundle 22:34 03 Jan 2008

I think you'll need to borrow an XP CD from somewhere , or see if your PC has an I386 folder on the harddrive (which is the folder containing the XP installation files on a CD).
If you can get a CD (Pro only, an XP Home CD will be no good) put it in the drive, go to start menu/run, type cmd

type

sfc /scannow

Let Windows check and repair system files. click here

If that's not an option there is something else you can try - see if the file is already on your system;

Windows search is hopeless at finding system files without a few tweaks - get this click here and run a search for MSIEXEC.EXE, it should be around 70-80kb (you may find several copies, if one of the folders mentioned is dllcache use that copy first). Copy it to C:\Windows\System32\
If you do find an I386 folder and a file called msiexec.ex_ in it that would be ideal too, but needs decompressing first.

Windows will warn you that it doesn't advise you opening system folders, just click through it.

The second issue is apparently due to Windows Update being set to install updates on a specific day of the week/month, chosen by whoever set the network and/or PC up, nothing to worry about. Unless you have autoupdate off for any reason, which I don't recommend.

alstemp 22:41 03 Jan 2008

Thanks Brundle. But it all sounds very complicated and some of it I don't understand.

Firstly - how do I check if my PC hard drive has an i386 folder on it?

Where can I get an XP Pro CD from? also if I insert "any old one" surely it will recognise that it's not the CD that's registed to my laptop?

I will try and track one down as it seems this is the only thing I can do now to help me.

thanks

brundle 22:53 03 Jan 2008

Just look on the C: drive with Explorer - it ought to
be at the root level, ie C:\I386. You may need to set Explorer to show hidden files and folders; click here

Riht click the folder and select Properties, it should be at least 300mb.

You can do the SFC without the CD if you have that folder, though you'll need a small download to change the location Windows will look at for I386 (ie hard-drive instead of CD).

As for CDs, product keys aren't associated with individual CDs, the CDs themselves are the same apart from later editions with Service Packs incorporated. Try to get a CD with Service Pack 2 included, if you can't it's not a big problem but saves some hassle.

alstemp 23:15 03 Jan 2008

Hi Brundle

thanks for your continued help (and patience!) with this.

I do hae the i386 folder and it is showing as 1.05GB so should be big enough?

So can I do the SFC then without the CD? What's the downlaod I need?

thanks regards

brundle 23:31 03 Jan 2008

Plenty, it may even have updates and service packs in there. Read this (ignore the Manual Method part) download the file and change your I386 path to C:
Norton may warn you about running a VB script but it's safe so go ahead.

Then refer to the SFC.exe link above
to run the System File Check.

brundle 23:46 03 Jan 2008

Sorry, link would help - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone