Ripping Vinyl to MP3

Condom 15:57 07 Nov 2009

Now that I have almost completed ripping my CD collection to MP3 ready for my next travels it is time to start thinking about converting my large vinyl collection.

I have a vg Rega Planer turntable, which has only ever played about a dozen albums, and an ordinary NAD amplifier, but somewhere in the back of my mind I hear pre-amp being mentioned.

Can I attach this turntable direct to my PC or do I need to obtain a pre-amp or alternatively invest in one of these new machines which does it all for you. They seem quite cheap so the quality of the turntable may be questionable.

Also what software will I be likely to need if any. I'm sure there must be some out there who have done this before but I can't find anything in the search engine which probably means I am not asking it the right questions.

Batch 17:49 07 Nov 2009

If your existing turntable plays through your NAD amp, then you can take an output (e.g. use the tape out) from your NAD amp (probably RCA phono connection) to your PC's line in (almost certainly 3.5mm stereo jack.

BTW, your existing turntable's tone arm almost certainly has a magnetic cartridge which, itself, doesn't provide a strong enough / suitable signal to feed directly to the PC, so it has to through a pre-amp (whcih the NAD must have if the turntabel works through it).

Belatucadrus 17:52 07 Nov 2009

For suitable software check out Audacity click here

Pineman100 18:12 07 Nov 2009

If you decide that you want to keep your turntable/computer connection independent of your amplifier, a little pre-amp is not expensive.

click here

Condom 20:09 07 Nov 2009

Thanks for all your assistance. It doesn't sound as difficult as I thought it might be (famous Last words of someone).

My PC is already plugged into a receiver as I have the outside eating area wired for sound so all I really need do is bring my turntable upstairs and find a stable place for it for a few weeks.

I've downloaded the last full version of Audacity as I was unsure about the new Beta version. I've got a paid version of Winamp already on my PC as I found it so good for ripping the CD's and recording them in the style I like so hopefully between the 2 software packages I'll get something working and get reasonable results. Again thanks everyone for youre help. I may even get a pre-amp as I think my son and a few other friends wish to do the same as we have so many albums which we cannot get in CD format so we cannot listen to them on the move.

The Old Mod 21:03 07 Nov 2009

This might be of interest, Aldi Thursday 12th November.USB Turntable
£39. 99 each *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The USB turntable allows you to play, record and back up your vinyl to your PC.

Converts files to MP3 or OGG format
Plugs straight into the USB port on your PC (Windows or MAC)
All software included
Rips vinyl directly to MP3 format
Files playback on devices such as iPod, mobile phones, MP3 and MP4 players
Software allows digital facelift by removing unsightly clicks and pops
33 1/3, 45 and 78 rpm speeds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?