Rip off anonymous downloads

njmt7 12:01 21 Jun 2006

My daughter got broadband for the first time from Pipex. She's a very light users and doesn't download music or images. From the first month Pipex notifified that she had exceeded her download allowance. After some months she has persuaded Pipex to investigate. They have run some software on her machine and found that every 5 minutes huge downloads were occurring, but nothing is stored on the computer. She found the IP address but is it registered anonymously. Each time the last two digits change so she can't block it. She has now found that the downloads coincide with Windows automatic updates. Can we do anything? Please help. Pipex are being completely unhelpful and just say that she "must" be downloading when she knows she is not. Especially as it would take several thousand music or image downloads to exceed her allowance. You'd notice.

rawprawn 12:06 21 Jun 2006

click here Download and run Ewido

Mr Beeline 17:01 21 Jun 2006

Hi

I apologize if you fully understand all these sorts of things. But is your PC decently protected? IE. Up-to-date anti-virus, anti-spyware and definitely for a broadband connection, a decent software firewall?

One thing that springs to mind, is the expression "Zombie computer" see click here for an explanation. Probably not, but worth a moments thought.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

njmt7 17:30 21 Jun 2006

In spite of my repeated efforts to persuade her I suspect she is not well protected She does have an antivirus/firewall but how well she runs it is another matter. Do you think antispyware will solve this problem now that the remote whatever it is has fingered her connection?

DieSse 18:06 21 Jun 2006

Do a Windows Update check, and see what updates are being made and have beeen made. You may find, as I did on a friends system just the other day, that the same updates are happening time and time again.

In the case I had it was due to a faulty update for the Windows Media Player - this turned out to be a known issue, so I managed to correct it - yours of course may be different.

octal 20:02 21 Jun 2006

This application will help keep an eye on what's going on with the connection click here

You probably notice there is a lot of traffic always running in the background even when you are not using the Internet, the reason is because the network card is always connected and its the ISP asking who is on line, this will leach some of the bandwidth.

Forum Editor 20:09 21 Jun 2006

your daughter isn't using a wireless connection is she?

User-312386 20:28 21 Jun 2006

I see you have said that "She has now found that the downloads coincide with Windows automatic updates"

Turn off auto update

Right click My Computer>Properties and then Automatic Updates.

When there Check "Turn off automatic Updates"

David4637 14:52 22 Jun 2006

TURN OFF THE AUTO UPDATES, until the problem is resolved. Just to get you ALL going I have NEVER down loaded any updates (Auto or selected)since having W98 and have never got "bitten" David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?