Rights about purchases-Laptop

LLS 10:53 28 Apr 2008

I am looking for some advice really...I purchased a Zoostorm Laptop. I have had it For one year and roughly two weeks, therefore the guarantee has gone. And sods law took over and the laptop is now dead. I have taken it for repair and the repairers have said the motherboard is dead, they tried to repair it, but have stated that the problem cannot be fixed as the motherboard keeps blowing the chips up (my words). Therefore it needs to be replaced. Now I understand the warranty/guarantee has finished, but it cost over £900.00 including delivery and the company are saying they wont help. Independent repairers (I have got a couple of quotes) have said it will cost between between £250.00 to £450.00 not includimg VAT. Surely a laptop that only gets used in the evenings for a couple of hours should not have had this problem, surely it is not fit for purpose. Is there anything I can do to recoup the costs? Thanks.

rawprawn 11:23 28 Apr 2008

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe there is anything you can do, apart from appealing to the makers which you have already done without success.
I know exactly how you feel my last TV died 2 weeks out of guarantee.

jack 12:10 28 Apr 2008

There is little the average user can do, beyond a modest memory upgrade.
If you purchase a copy of MicroMart[Comes out Thursdays] it is possible there may be a hint of a repair option.

LLS 12:10 28 Apr 2008

I have not tried the makers only the company who sold it to me..Does this make a difference?

deadwoodman 13:09 28 Apr 2008

price up a new motherboard from ebay, you might find one with a smashed screen ect.. 450 is expensive,

rawprawn 13:39 28 Apr 2008

I would contact the makers,you never know until you try. It doesn't cost anything to contact them so have a go. They may be willing to negotiate on the cost of repair if they are not willing to go the whole way.

beeuuem 13:48 28 Apr 2008

You could try contacting Trading Standards click here to determine your rights under the Sale Of Goods Act 1994 which states that the goods must be of satisfactory quality and durability.
It is not reasonable for the laptop to fail after 12 months. For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

jack 14:00 28 Apr 2008

Might it not be a reasonable suggestion to put to the vendor that you are willing to foot the labour if they furnish the part[s]
This is a common procedure in the domestic appliance market and in some instances the motor trade[both our washing machine and car are covered this way]
Get the parts 'Free' pay the labour.

LLS 14:06 28 Apr 2008

The company that I bought it from PC Next day are an internet company, they will only reply in email, even though I have asked for a telephone number. All they keep stating is that it is not covered by the warranty so it is not there problem. Thanks for all your help.

DieSse 14:13 28 Apr 2008

"All they keep stating is that it is not covered by the warranty so it is not there problem."

But it IS covered by the Sale of Goods Act (as stated above) - and if you read the warranty carefully it will say in it somewhere that the warranty does not take away your rights under this act.

I would pop into a Citizens Advice bureau, of the local Trading Standards office or call)), and ask them if they have a form of words to "encourage" the seller to respond properly to you.

To the seller be polite but firm, and quote the relevant Act. Maybe send a recorded delivery letter.

LLS 18:17 28 Apr 2008

Thank you all for your help. The company have now agreed to repair the laptop, thanks mainly to your advice. So fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?