The "Right" Way to reinstall windows?????

Rich 3570 16:10 21 Mar 2006

Hello all,
My computer needs to reinstall XP as its problems are numerous. However on another thread it was mentioned that there were right ways and wrong ways of doing this and that wrong ways would lead to conflicts later on.
I foolishly thought that this was more a stick the disc in and then reload everything. Apparantly im wrong, Any help/suggestions.

Cheers

woodchip 16:13 21 Mar 2006

Yes I posted you, Have you got a Full XP OS CD or have you got Restore CD's from when you got the Computer

Rich 3570 16:18 21 Mar 2006

Well the answer is unfortunately neither, I am going to buy a new XP home copy (as my XP Pro is not licenced) and im trying to sort out what i will need to do when i get the CD. I'm really trying to get sorted properly and don't want to cause any more problems whilst trying to fix others!!! thanks

woodchip 16:26 21 Mar 2006

You also need all the Drivers for the Computer and all Hardware connected to the computer this includes Motherboard Drivers as there will be several of these for hardware on the motherboard

dth 16:27 21 Mar 2006

And of course you need to copy all your data onto a cd or dvd

Methedrine 16:35 21 Mar 2006

Don't forget to set the PC to boot from CD when you do the reinstall. You can do this in the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?