Is This Right Or Is This a AOL Scam

bestmatey3 11:37 15 Mar 2006

Hi.

My 12 months AOL contract ends today.

I have just spoken to a AOL employee to see if all is ok, and to make sure they do not take a further payment from my bank account.

I was told by this AOL employee yes my contract ends today, but they still taking a further payment so that means this will be 13 months and not 12 months.

Is this right, or are they trying it on?

Jackcoms 11:40 15 Mar 2006

If you don't want them to "take a further payment from my bank account" cancel the Direct Debit.

Totally-braindead 11:42 15 Mar 2006

I'm not 100% sure but I think what has happened is they require one months notice of cancellation which you preumably haven't given. If this is the case then they are within their rights. I would check your conditions of contract.
When you sign up to a ISP for a year its for a MINIMUM of a year, unless you cancel it, for which they require a months notice, the contract will carry on. Not explained that too well but hopefully you get the idea.

gudgulf 11:48 15 Mar 2006

Have you given notice to quit the service?If so did you do it well in advance of the end of the 12 month period?

As I understand it you originally sign for 12 months and then it goes to a monthly contract basis.So if you want to quit after the twelve months they will want 1 further months notice...so 13 months in all.

Unless you gave then reasonable warning that you would be leaving their service at the end of the original contract that is.

bestmatey3 11:50 15 Mar 2006

cancel the Direct Debit

Tried that today, my bank would not let me.

one months notice of cancellation

Been there done that.

The AOL custetomer service is now in India and
no disrespect to the India race, but the employee
kept saying yes they have to take the money even though my contract ends today.

stlucia 12:31 15 Mar 2006

Your contract doesn't end today: It ends a month (that may be 28 or 30 days, or whatever it says in the contract) after you've given notice of termination, as others have said.

So, to answer your headline question, it is not "an AOL scam" unless they're still taking money after you've given the required notice.

bestmatey3 12:47 15 Mar 2006

stlucia

What are you on about!!

Hi.

I spoke to a AOL employee over a month ago, i tried and give a months notice. i was told i had to contact them again today.

I have just spoken to a AOL employee to see if all is ok, and to make sure they do not take a further payment from my bank account.

I was told by this AOL employee yes my contract ends today, but they still taking a further payment, but my contract ends tomorrow, i can cancel my AOL contract tomorrow.

that's 13 months and not 12 months.

And for the record. Have you ever tried to get
a proper answer to your question from a AOL employee, they pass you on to another employee
who knows even less then they do.

You may as well ask teh cat.

stlucia 16:49 15 Mar 2006

stlucia

What are you on about!!

Calm down!! Until now you didn't say that you have actually given them the required notice. If that's the case then, yes, they seem to be out of order.

pj123 18:06 15 Mar 2006

Just spoken to AOL. Someone in India who said his name was Damien told me my contract expires on 18/04/2006 and from the 19th April I can ring and cancel the account without any notice required. I assume that means I am paying one month ahead. The only problem I have with that is where is my proof that I have done that by phone? I have been told by my bank that because this account is from my Debit card I can't cancel it myself. It has to be cancelled by AOL.

If they keep taking the subscription monthly after telling them to cancel the account where do I stand?

CurlyWhirly 19:00 15 Mar 2006

"I have been told by my bank that because this account is from my Debit card I can't cancel it myself. It has to be cancelled by AOL.

If they keep taking the subscription monthly after telling them to cancel the account where do I stand?"

I myself was wondering this as well.
I am going to contact my bank to find out more about this.
Some time ago, I requested to change from debit card to Direct Debit but AOL refused to do it and if the above is true, now I know why!

stlucia 19:57 15 Mar 2006

In my opinion, the only safe way to cancel or terminate any contract -- not just AOL -- is in writing. If you do that, you will be able to prove to your bank or credit card company that any further debits have been taken mistakenly, and they will refund you in accordance with their code.

If you search AOL Help for "cancel", you will get the postal address to write to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?