the right graphics card

DEMONTRA 21:19 06 Sep 2005

I am using a Dell Optiplex 170L computer and I wanted to add a graphics card but I don't know what type will suit my motherboard.Sadly I only found out I had a problem when I bought aRadeon 9200se 128mb ddr tvo card and realised when I went to insert it that it won't fit because all the slots are the wrong way round for it.Can anybody out there advise me what I should do?

VoG II 21:22 06 Sep 2005

This is probably the silliest question/comment ever but have you tried plugging it in upside down (the card, that is).

DEMONTRA 22:05 06 Sep 2005

The solution is not as simple as that.There are 3 available system board connectors on my motherboard,all of which face the same direction but what I bought is possibly an expansion card but there is no slot available for it although ther is a space on the motherboard for a system board connector to go and the card would fit there.

Mr Beeline 22:18 06 Sep 2005

I think this PC comes with Embedded Intel Extreme® Graphics 2 (or so DELLs site says). So quite possibly does not have a seperate graphics slot.

DEMONTRA 22:23 06 Sep 2005

That is indeed the case but how do I find out what graphics card I should buy e.g. is there some web-site I can go to where I can find out what card would fit my motherboard?

Mr Beeline 22:31 06 Sep 2005

From looking at reviews O/L... it would only appear to have three PCI slots and nothing else.

If you can disable the onboard graphics from within the BIOS, you could consider a PCI based graphics card. There are still some about. For example the HIS ATI Radeon 9250/PCI 128MB 64bit with TV-Out and DVI ... see click here

DEMONTRA 22:40 06 Sep 2005

I think you might know what I'm going to ask now. How do you disable the onboard graphics from within the BIOS?By the way sorry for being a pain in the behind but I'm a complete balloon when it comes to computers.My kids would know better!!!

Mr Beeline 22:52 06 Sep 2005

Keep pressing the delete key when booting the PC up, this should take you into the BIOS. Have a poke around in there and somewhere (if you are lucky) there should be a setting to disable the onboard graphics. Take care not to change anything else, as you could well Donald Duck your PC!!!!

Then insert your shiny new PCI graphics card, switch your PC on and add your new drivers.

Out of interest as this is really a business orientated PC, why do you want to upgrade the graphics capability? Only real reason that I can think of, is for playing computer games and there's a good argument that this machine is not really the best platform for this.

Good luck...

DEMONTRA 23:01 06 Sep 2005

You're quite right about wanting to play computer games.It does seem a bit drastic to do what you suggest so I don't think I'll bother. thanks for all your help and patience.A.T.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?