Right clicking mouse causes XP to lock up

MikeJ101 00:29 14 Oct 2003

If I right click icons on the desktop - XP locks up and I have to reboot. Anyone got any ideas. Oh, by the way if I start in safe mode it works fine.

Tog 07:33 14 Oct 2003

Safe mode loads default drivers and bypasses the startup list.
Try a normal startup and then disable everything running in the background before using right-click.

MikeJ101 07:44 14 Oct 2003

There is nothing in the start up list - I removed anything that was there. Pity they got rid of the old fashioned diagnostic start up of Win98. Where do you reckon I could get a list of the default drivers loaded in Safe Mode?

jimv7 08:25 14 Oct 2003

If you have loaded mouse drivers, uninstall them, go into device manager and remove the mouse, restart and let xp find its own drivers.

MikeJ101 23:28 14 Oct 2003

I've tried the mouse driver idea and could not resolve it that way.
The answer lies in Roxio CD Creator 6. If I uninstall it everything runs OK.
So I reinstalled it and the problem came back. If I make sure there is a CDRW in the drive when it boots there is no problem and it runs OK - it only locks up if I forget to leave a cd in the drive when it boots up. If I don't put a cd in the drive all I have to do is shut down the Drag to Disk feature - restart it and everything is fine. Don't ask me why it does it but I've at least go a work around for it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?