right click from keyboard (not using mouse)

Carafaraday 09:47 09 Aug 2008

Is there a simple way to use the keyboard to right click the screen (ie part of a webpage) without using a mouse?

crosstrainer 09:48 09 Aug 2008

It's possible to do it all without a rodent :)

click here

Carafaraday 10:12 09 Aug 2008

Crosstrainer, thank you for the link. I was aware of the shift F10 combination, but that just gives the opportunity to select the full page - I am trying to select just the centre bit of a web page. Possibly like selecting just the question and answer bit of this page...............If you right click, then print, you only get the bit you want, I think.

Chris the Ancient 11:22 09 Aug 2008

Most modern keyboards have an etra key between <Alt GR> and <Ctrl> to the right of the space bar.

That acts as a right click on a lot of applications.

Eric10 11:26 09 Aug 2008

You need to select the text first so that the printer knows what to print. I don't know of a way to do this on a webpage without draging with the mouse. Shift+arrow keys doesn't seem to do it.
Once selected you can choose to print the "Selection" from the printer dialogue box.

Carafaraday 11:42 09 Aug 2008

Chris the Ancient - thank you for that - I wondered what that key did - seems to be much the same as shift F10 though so not quite what I was looking for.
Eric10, yes, the problem is selecting really I supppose rather than printing.
Thank you both for replying.

tullie 12:01 09 Aug 2008

Just curious,why dont you want to use the mouse?

Carafaraday 12:03 09 Aug 2008

tullie, - the mouse is a bit erratic - sometimes very slow to respond on the right click - I should probably just replace it - that would be the simple answer.

hastelloy 12:25 09 Aug 2008

Start-control panel-accessability options-mouse. Tick use mouse keys and select the settings you want. Select apply and OK. You can then use the number pad - 8 for up, 4 for left etc. 5 is left click and + is right click. This doesn't disable the mouse so you can still use it as well.

tullie 12:26 09 Aug 2008

Have you had a look in control panel/mouse to see if theres anything in there you can change?

Carafaraday 12:36 09 Aug 2008

marvin42 - Thank you for that - I must be doing something wrong because I still can't select just part of the web page...............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?