Is this the right choice with Networking????

daz246 15:52 01 Nov 2003

I have a Dell 4300 PC with Windows XP Home and BT Broadband, this is connected to the phone socket via a cable running up the stairs. Im planning on buying a Toshiba Sat Pro A10 laptop, I want to enable this to share the Broadband connection and to be able to share the files and printer from the PC. So if I've got this correct I'll need the following network devices.

A Belkin 54g wireless notebook card, wireless PCI adaptor card and a wireless cable/dsl router. Will this also mean that I can remove the cable from up the stairs and have the pc wireless connected to broadband too???????

Any help will be much appreciated
darren

LastChip 16:25 01 Nov 2003

You need a Broadband Wireless router and a wireless network card in each machine. Within the range of the router, you can wander about with your laptop to your hearts content.

With this investment, don't be tempted to cut corners. Security is a big issue with wireless equipment, and some time searching out information will pay dividends. For example, make sure your chosen router is capable of acting as a firewall in addition to the chosen tasks, and will support at least 128 bit encryption. Although there is some conformity within wireles standards, the main being the theoretical transfer rates and transmission frequencies, not all equipment from DIFFERENT manufacturers will work together, so buying from the same manufacturer for all your components may save some headaches.

Don't forget, DON'T try and mix different standards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?