Rigged voting?

SallyC 13:08 12 Jun 2010

Does anyone know if there are programs that can 'rig' voting in on-line competitions? A band I know recently entered a local radio station 'best song' competition. I placed my vote from the beginning & all was fine up to & including quarter-final stage - that is the percentage vote between the two contestants changed during the voting period. But in the semi-final the vote remained static at 70/30 - it did change by a couple of points (68/32) for a short time & then went back to 70/30 regardless of how many votes were cast. We did a test by mobilising 200 votes in half hour period (no mean feat) which should have increased the band's vote by a minimum of 7% but it still stuck at 70/30.
Then someone sent a text suggesting that a 'Sniper-like' program might be being used - I looked it up & it's an automatic auction bidding program - reading it through I can see that something similar could be applied to on-line voting & just wondered if anyone knew of such a thing.
This question is not for any purpose - purely for interest. The competition was purely for fun, no monetary gain - just air time, so seems a shame if it had been rigged.

Catastrophe 20:27 13 Jun 2010

Interesting. Understood that there are no legal implications.

Have no experience whatsoever of this but enormous experience on eBay.

Seems like you may think one 'side' has a reserve of votes and the other 'side' a lower reserve of votes. On eBay a raise by one 'side' automatically triggers a pre-programmed response by the other. Not sure how this could work. On eBay there are two people with GBPs to manipulate. How can one manipulate votes?

Still, an interesting question.

:)

Catastrophe 21:01 13 Jun 2010

Instead or GBP I guess you would need an eMail currency in eMail addresses. Such as GB.failures.n.gov for n = 0 to 100000000 and the other side likewise.

SallyC 10:38 14 Jun 2010

Indeed - except one side (the band we were supporting) was being voted for purely by individuals, with no software assistance. But regardless of the amount of votes cast, the % difference didn't change by more than 2% at any time - as soon as 'our' votes increased by 2%, it was knocked back again by the same amount - which made me wonder if there was a hidden electronic hand working in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires