Rich word document

bob308w 18:46 27 Dec 2005

I have scanned a document and saved it in 'my documents' as a rich word document. What have I done wrong, that I cannot now edit it? I have just bought a new scanner (epson cX6600), and this only applies to documents since using it, documents that I saved previously,with another printer are fine.

bob308w 18:56 27 Dec 2005

should have added that I saved them from scanner to notepad.

bob308w 18:57 27 Dec 2005

Got that wrong as well, saved docs into my documents, and opened them in notepad!

Forum Editor 19:02 27 Dec 2005

it ceases to be a document in its original form, and becomes an image - just like a photo, or a graphic.

You say that you saved this file as a Rich Text file (not rich word), but I'm puzzled as to how you did that if you were scanning a paper document.

Perhaps you can explain more fully?

bob308w 19:12 27 Dec 2005

It is a rich text file. I scanned it and saved it to my 'documents', opened document with wordpad (not notepad). Why is it that I can open and edit other documents but not the ones that I have saved since using the new printer, how should I save them so as to allow editing?

VoG II 19:20 27 Dec 2005

You need Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software to scan a document in and convert it to text. Normally a suitable OCR program is bundled with scanners. For example I have Omnipage.

bob308w 19:22 27 Dec 2005

I have just checked and the docs that I can edit are not scans, they are word documents.
Now...is it possible in any way to edit a scanned document ?

bob308w 19:25 27 Dec 2005

I have just looked and can find no reference to OCR in the scanner files. Is there a programme that I can buy to do this?

VoG II 19:32 27 Dec 2005

click here is an example but you may be able to get something cheaper if you look around. click here seems to be free.

bob308w 19:43 27 Dec 2005

Many thanks, VoG, now I know what I need, praps I'll take a trip to PCWorld in the morning, see if they have a sale on !

DieSse 21:27 27 Dec 2005

Your scanner will almost certainly have come with an OCR program on the bundled CD. Have a look and read the documentation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?