ribbon cables

picklsey 13:35 21 Apr 2005

xp home sp2-asus a8n-sli deluxe m/b.

built this pc myself everthing seems to run ok,what i would like to know is when i boot up on the bios screen it says i have no 80 pin cable connected as i have a sata h/d i set my dvd/rw & dvd rom up on the blue connector on the m/b i believe this is secondry would i be better off putting the ribbon cable on the black connector on the m/b.although the pc is running well when i put a disc in it is a bit slow on starting up and i was thinking things might go faster if i changed the cable around.thanks.

Yoda Knight 14:02 21 Apr 2005

I have the same message, but I think its to do with the audio cable from my dvdrw to the motherboard as it only appeard after I plugged that in. It doesnt bother me though as everything seems to work fine

picklsey 14:11 21 Apr 2005

Yoda Knight

thanks for reply it,s not bothering me that much i probably put my question wrong (try again)do i have my cable on the correct connector on my m/b as when i put a cd/dvd in it,s a bit slow on recognising it compared to my last pc,nothing drastic i was just curious if i swaped the cable round if it would speed it up or would i just be creating problems.thanks again.

SEASHANTY 16:43 21 Apr 2005

Illustration of 80 conductor and 40 conductor IDE ribbon cables
click here

Yoda Knight 16:47 21 Apr 2005

Your hard drive has to be on the primary IDE channel in order to boot, as far as I am aware.

An interesting, related, question is wether or not its better to have both devices on the same (primary) IDE or on seperate IDEs ?

SEASHANTY 16:53 21 Apr 2005

Also some illustration and info on the ATA100 rounded cables
click here

SEASHANTY 16:59 21 Apr 2005

Motherboard IDE connections
click here

Rayuk 18:16 21 Apr 2005

Why not put each drive onto its own controller,better if you want to copy cds on the fly.

picklsey 13:04 22 Apr 2005

thanks all going to get two rounded cables at the weekend and put them on separate controllers.thanks once again for all your help on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie