Rewriter's crashing computer

zese 19:56 29 Dec 2006

I have a CD and a DVD rewriter,whenever I put a recordable disc in either player the computer crashes. Plays finalised media no probs.Tried updating drivers but no avail. Drives are Sony and I use pinnacle software to write to drives.Does any one have any idea what may be causng the system to crash. Thanks.

Technotiger 20:06 29 Dec 2006

Hi, do you have any other burner programs on your pc? if you have say Nero, for instance, might be clashing!

Technotiger 20:07 29 Dec 2006

ps - another program that could cause clashes is any Roxio burning software.

terryf 20:07 29 Dec 2006

If you are using winxp does the cd writing wizard write (to an RW disk)

zese 20:19 29 Dec 2006

Only other program I know of that has burning software is media player. I have just tried to burn a music cd and media player would not recognise blank disc but at least it didnt crash pc this time, Deleted Real player and that seemed to work for a short time as I also thought there might be a conflict somewhere

Technotiger 20:24 29 Dec 2006

Hmmm, I would suggest that you get Nero to use instead of Pinnacle. Pinnacle is more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' while Nero is a dedicated Burner.

terryf 20:31 29 Dec 2006

I would have thought that using the cd writing wizard to write some files would prove if it is software or your writer

zese 20:43 29 Dec 2006

Didn't know xp had a cd wizard. tried it but no response will not copy to drive. It is 2 seperate dvd and cd drives and will not record to either. It was working fine for last 12 months until recent round of MS windows updates.

terryf 21:03 29 Dec 2006

Try going to My Computer, right click and choose properties>hardware>device manager. right click on the 2 writers separately and uninstall them, reboot and windows will find them and re-install them. Before you do this look for any yellow marks against devices which would indicate that windows finds them iffy. After re-boot and win saying found new hardware, etc try cd wizard again

zese 17:02 30 Dec 2006

Tried your suggestion terryf but computer crashed when I installed CD and files failed to write to copy folder. Decided to bite the bullet and uninstalled Pinnacle Cd/DVD suite, during this process computer had to run CHDSK to reboot so I think the program must have become corrupt. XP cd copy now working and no crashes, but there again no CD / DVD burning software either.

terryf 18:31 30 Dec 2006

Try downloading nero from hippo also try sfc /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?