Rewritable Drives

carver 23:04 14 Mar 2010

Hi, problem I have is that a Lite-on Lightscribe rewritable drive keeps sticking when trying to open the draw, it will open if I shove a pin into the release hole, it then works for a few times then sticks again.

So thats the problem, is there anything I can do to make it work properly or is it a case of new DVD writer.

northumbria61 23:10 14 Mar 2010

It could simply be down to the type of disc you are using - and/or are you using a disc with a stick on label?

carver 06:28 15 Mar 2010

Sorry but it's sticking even without a disc in the drive.

northumbria61 06:36 15 Mar 2010

You could try a driver update - go to Device Manager- select your CD/DVD drive from the LIST - right click - select Update Driver Software. It may help but not a certain fix.

Storic12 07:12 15 Mar 2010

A couple of suggestions that may work.

First check the power connection to the drive isn't loose, secondly you could try using an air blower or small computer vacuum cleaner inside the drive, just in case there is dust or something in the mechanism.
May help.

BT 07:59 15 Mar 2010

Try lubricating the rails with a little graphite dust. Scrape a pencil lead with sharp knife to produce a little powder and apply it with the tip of your finger. Rub it in trying not to leave any loose dust.

Andsome 08:02 15 Mar 2010

They are so cheap to buy and easy to replace that personally I would not bother. I would fit a new one.

carver 14:00 15 Mar 2010

Thanks for replies but I think Andsome has right idea, suppose that by the time I've stripped it down, lubricated the mechanism, refitted it to the pc ,found out it's still sticking, took it back out to fit another one, any suggestions for a decent optical drive?

Storic12 14:35 15 Mar 2010

You could have a look at this one.

Plextor PX-880SA - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA

peugeot man 15:10 15 Mar 2010

If you are lucky enough to have an Argos clearance warehouse in your area I saw an LG external one half price at £24.99 today.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017