Revo Uninstaller - How trustworthy is it?

sebiven 20:51 12 Dec 2008

Mum,this laptop is rubbish!Ever had that?

I have my son's laptop in front of me which is "gummed up" with all sorts.To give you an example ccleaner found 429Mb of crap and analysing the registry came up with over 600 instances for deletion.

Going through the add/remove programs list in control panel there are quite a few bits and pieces to be removed.

A friend recommended Revo Uninstaller.

First up is Apple Software and Apple Update.These two items alone have shown some 2500 Registry Entries left after uninstallation.

This is only the start.There are more to get rid of!

So.Using Revo's Advanced option do I trust it to get rid of what it lists or do I not?

By the way the same friend suggested that I do a backup of the registry before starting.That's done!

sunnystaines 21:00 12 Dec 2008

ok

MAT ALAN 21:01 12 Dec 2008

comes recommended by most on this forum...

Have to say backing up your registry is a good idea but don't forget you have also backed up 2500 unwanted entries..

Technotiger 21:02 12 Dec 2008

Revo is excellent, in fact I have just this moment finished un-installing an unwanted program.

When un-installing with Revo, you will be asked if you want to re-start your PC, Do Not re-start at this point - let Revo continue, when you get the option to Select All and to Delete, DO SO. When you get to the option to click on Finish, DO SO and then re-start your PC.

It is perfectly safe - I use for any un-install job I have.

Technotiger 21:04 12 Dec 2008

PS - forget Revo's Advanced Option - it is just not needed, I have never used the advanced option. Just go for the un-install.

skidzy 21:10 12 Dec 2008

Though Revo is an excellent piece of software,heed the warning from MAT ALAN !!

Backup the registry first !! this will at least give you a backup if something goes wrong.

As Revo may clear some orphan DLL's these may turn out to be shared with another wanted program,removing these may cause other programs to malfunction.
In saying this,Revo is excellent and normally reliable.

Backing up the registry;

Start / run and type REGEDIT and enter
Select FILE and EXPORT
In the box ,type REGBACKUP and select save.

Then carry on with REVO.

Good point would be to create a system restore point also.

sebiven 21:42 12 Dec 2008

Thanks for the responses.

This laptop is painfully slow.My friend says that the Advanced option in Revo is the most thorough and given the amount of rubbish sitting on this hard drive I tend to agree.

However I am not savvy enough to consider a format/reinstall,which is another option.

Having backed up the Registry I think I may bite the bullet and let Revo perform it's magic.

I'll let you know how things progress but any more feedback would be appreciated.

DieSse 00:56 13 Dec 2008

Having surplus programs installed won't slow your system down one jot. It's having too many programs running that affects it.

If you "Ctrl-Alt-Del" and bring up the task manager, how many processes are there? Up to about 50 is pretty normal.

And look how many things are sitting in the system tray - these are all running and taking up memory and some processor power. Most people have far too many.

Give us some idea of what your system is - processor, amount of RAM, which OS and which Anti-Virus.

You may have performance issues with any of those.

fullyfitted 11:41 13 Dec 2008

bump

sebiven 11:55 13 Dec 2008

DieSse - thanks for your input.Processes 45.The laptop is an NEC Generation - 1.4GHz Intel Celeron M360, 14 inch widescreen display, Windows XP, 40GB HDD, 512MB DDR2, CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

I had used Revo in advanced mode to clean it up and overnight defragmented the thing [again on the recommendation of my friend]

This morning I spoke to a guy who advertises in our local rag and popped the laptop up to him.Not a problem he says and promptly suggested that "an extra gig of memory would improve things substantially".All for the princely sum of £40 fitted!

Did it ever!I suppose it is a combination of clearing out the junk and the installation of the memory but this laptop has received a much needed shot in the arm.

Thanks to everyone who bothered to offer advice.It is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?