Revitalise XP Article in PC Advisor (Problem)

User-74CFE928-DBAE-4661-A02B4689F390E0CD 19:08 19 Jan 2007

On page 92 of issue 140 (March 2007) it tells you to go to the DisablePagingExecutive entry (if you have at least 1 GB of RAM) and change the 0 to a 1, click OK and re-start the PC, this I did.
This caused my PC to slow-down considerably both in loading windows and other applications. However I had backed up the registry as suggested and thought I could just Import it back to overwrite the altered settings, however it told me it couldn't change all of the registry back!
Next step I manually changed the 1 to 0 and re-booted it changed it back to 1, so I then deleted the line called DisablePagingExecutive and re-booted, it re-wrote the line with you guessed it and put a 1 not a 0 in it.
I've also tried deleting (no page file) the swap file via the Virtual Memory window from "My computer", re-booting and then putting in a custom max and min (1.5 x 1GB of my RAM) size of 1536 MB. I STILL have a setting of 1.
I also have a program called "RAM Booster Expert" when I call it up it states that I have a total Page file size of 64 Bytes!!!
PLEASE someone tell me how to undo this TIP.

Pine Man 19:11 19 Jan 2007

How about System Restore?

Hi All,
Sorry about that; shouldn't have clicked the resolved box, but I didn't realise how to get to the answer; I do not have System Restore running on my PC, so unfortunately I can not use that.
Help still appreciated.

Stuartli 19:45 19 Jan 2007

It would be a wise move.

Agreed, but that comment doesn't help me resolve the problem now does it!

Spark6 11:41 20 Jan 2007

A more constructive comment, I hope. This will 'bump' your thread back to the top and, possibly, the CD editor or someone with a workaround will pick up on it.

Should this fail I suggest you re-post your plea because the resolved tick on this one may put folk off. HTH

provider 2 13:05 20 Jan 2007

I think it might be a good idea for you to have a look at this click here

Pine Man 16:53 21 Jan 2007

It might be a good idea, if nobody comes up with the solution, to email your query to PCA. If it is selected you will receive the answer by email and it will also appear in a forthcoming issue of PCA to help others who have fallen into the same trap.

Spark6 20:28 21 Jan 2007

Has the Rainman been washed away?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?