Revert back to Windows Host File

birdface 13:25 27 Mar 2011
Answered

Hi.I normally use this host file instead of windows own Host File.
click here
Is there any way of reverting back to windows own Host file.
I am using W/7 Ultimate.

The reason I ask is that I can never get Internet Explorer to run as fast as it should and I have been told that it may be the Host file that is the problem.
So I would like to try with Windows own Host File just to see if it works ok with that or not.
This is the 3rd computer that I have had within the last year and have had the same problem with them all.
I get this message with all of the computers.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:19:49 UTC

Line: 1976
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: click here

Now it is not the Firefox message as I am using Firefox just now it is the Comscore message from I/E that I have been getting on all computers which slow I/E down.

birdface 13:30 27 Mar 2011

Ignore the click here beside URI as I did not intend to put it there and just opens the same thread again.Sorry.

birdface 13:37 27 Mar 2011

I should have also added I get this message on the left hand side of the Status Bar on I/E8.
Done but with errors on the page.
I have tried IE9 and although it does not show the warnings it is just ad slow opening the pages.
I would like to revert back to using I/E but it is very slow compared with Firefox at the moment.

Taff™ 13:39 27 Mar 2011

Hi Buteman! click here Use either the automated "Fix It" or manual method.

birdface 13:47 27 Mar 2011

Hi Taff thanks for that.
Ran it but cannot find my Host File now.
Any ideas as to where to look.

birdface 13:49 27 Mar 2011

All this time struggling with it and it looks like it was the Host file that was causing the problem.

Taff™ 14:01 27 Mar 2011

It says in the article - might be a hidden file though so change folder options.

Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, and then click OK.

Note If you are using 64 bit version of Windows, type %systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc.

birdface 14:27 27 Mar 2011

Thanks for that but could not find it that wat so just went to my computer c drive and entered system32\drivers\etc and that brought them up.
It will not let me open them as it asks which program do i want to use to open it and I don't have a clue.
But at least I know they are there so no problem.
I did have show hidden files dotted so not sure why it would not let me in.
I know you used to be able to use Notepad to open them but not sure if you can still do it on W/7 or not.
Anyhow many thanks for your help at least I know now that it was the new Host file causing the problems so looks like i will be staying with the W/7 version.
Will class as resolved now so many thanks for your help it was appreciated as usual.

Zeppelyn 20:03 27 Mar 2011

Buteman, the program to open it is notepad.

birdface 20:32 27 Mar 2011

Had a look at notepad but not sure if it works that way with W/7.
Anyhow it is that long sice I used it I forget how.

rdave13 20:52 27 Mar 2011

First in Win 7 click on start. In the 'search programs and files' box type folder options. Click it on the list. Under the view tab select ' show hidden files, folders and drives'. Apply and ok.
Next go to start, back to the search programs and files and type hosts. Select the blank looking folder with hosts underlined. This will bring the window up to select which program to open with. Select notepad and you should now see the default hosts files list. If you've returned to the default list then there won't be much showing but localhost I think. I'm running Spybot so I have a long list of 'blocked' addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone